Ricky Kresslein
Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  3+ Years in Tech Support
98270431

I have a WD "My Cloud" and it has been working perfectly for

Customer Question

I have a WD "My Cloud" and it has been working perfectly for several years. Today I went to delete a shortcut and it deleted the file I was referencing in the "Properties" window. I need that file. How can I recover it?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: PC
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I never initiate updates. If it occurs, it is automatic. Computer is on continuously.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car is running and I am supposed to be on the road to Canada. Just wanted to check my computer before leaving and this happened.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Ricky Kresslein replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Could you please tell me if you have already emptied the recycle bin? if not, there is a chance it is still lurking in there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. I immediately looked there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't we do all this texting on the computer as opposed to the phone

Yes, we can do that. There is software that allows you to restore deleted files, however they usually don't work. They also cost $20-$50. I can recommend this software, but unfortunately it is unlikely you will recover the file.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is not acceptable cancel my order I thought I was talking to western digital but apparently not

There is a free software called Recuva that you can download here: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

That will be your best shot at recovering the file.

No, this is not Western Digital, this is Just Answer, a tech support helpline.

If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!