Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a WD "My Cloud" and it has been working perfectly for…

Customer Question
I have a WD...

I have a WD "My Cloud" and it has been working perfectly for several years. Today I went to delete a shortcut and it deleted the file I was referencing in the "Properties" window. I need that file. How can I recover it?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

PC

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I never initiate updates. If it occurs, it is automatic. Computer is on continuously.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

The car is running and I am supposed to be on the road to Canada. Just wanted to check my computer before leaving and this happened.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
8/6/2017
Computer technician: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Could you please tell me if you have already emptied the recycle bin? if not, there is a chance it is still lurking in there.

No. I immediately looked there
Can't we do all this texting on the computer as opposed to the phone

Yes, we can do that. There is software that allows you to restore deleted files, however they usually don't work. They also cost $20-$50. I can recommend this software, but unfortunately it is unlikely you will recover the file.

That is not acceptable cancel my order I thought I was talking to western digital but apparently not

There is a free software called Recuva that you can download here: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

That will be your best shot at recovering the file.

No, this is not Western Digital, this is Just Answer, a tech support helpline.

If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!