syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional with 18 years experience in system design and troubleshooting
13852270

Can't setup my fax modem for windows 7, can't configure fax

Customer Question

can't setup my fax modem for windows 7, can't configure fax accounts. The modem works for phone dialing. what to do?
JA: Are your device's other functions (printing, copying, scanning, etc.) working fine?
Customer: the device is a PCI fax modem, only dials.
JA: When did this fax issue begin?
Customer: I haven't used this modem for faxing.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of, at this point.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

My name is David.

What program are you using for faxing?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
windows fax and scan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am running windows 7, have a PCI fax modem plugged into my motherboard and it works fine for dialing calls. I am using Windows Fax and Scan for my faxing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you need any further information?
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

What happens when you try to fax?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the windows Fax and Scan (WFS) opens, I click on send, click on Tools then select FAX Accounts , click on add and get this message:An error occurred. try again later. In message bar at bottom: Mo fax accounts are configured.
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Click Tools then Fax Settings and check the General tab. Is your modem listed? If not click the Select Fax Device button and select your modem and then try faxing again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I click tools and then Fax Settings, NO dialog box opens.
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

What is the make and model of the modem? Some modems do not provide fax services.

Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

I just tested Windows Fax and Scan on a computer that does not have a modem and the Fax Settings window still opens. So you may need to reload Windows Fax and Scan. To do this click Control Panel, then Programs and Features then Turn Windows Features On or Off and then click the Print and Document Services and clear the Windows Fax and Scan check box and click OK. Close Programs and Features then restart the computer then re-select/reinstall Windows Fax and Scan and it should load correctly and start working.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
CXT PCIe Soft Data Fax SoftRing Modem w SmartCP
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Ok thank you. Given that it is a fax modem, please follow the procedure I just posted to reload Windows Fax and Scan and let me know if that resolves the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not work. I am quitting for now.
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Ok, just let me know when you would like to try again as I have additional ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

David.

Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Thanks,

David.