Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

At the end of last year my hard drive began failing. When I

Customer Question

Hello, at the end of last year my hard drive began failing. When I noticed the issue, I would simply reboot and things were normal for a little while but then the problem gradually became worse. Before the computer was completely non-functional, I took it into the computer pros and they were able to backup most of the data. Unfortunately, they were NOT able to pull a good bit of my e-mails from years of doing business. I had some backed up on an external but for a good bit of the most recent e-mails were lost.I am trying to determine the best way to possibly recover data that is on a faulty hard drive. My guess is that it may not be recoverable. But, it might be. Is there a way to test if it is recoverable? Or, an option that might be used for forensics that might help to pull the data without costing a ton of money.Thanks in advance.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

I could help you scan the drive for files. But you need to order this cable set, and then get back in touch with me when you get it.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

Please rate this solution with the 5 star rating to close out as it is the only way i am credited for assisting you.

If you need further assistance, just leave a reply and we will continue.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Sr. Technician and former Network Switching System operator & maintainer with the US Signal Corp, (abn)

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Hello again, I never heard back from you.. Did you still need help with this issue?

Ill be working all day today and tomorrow as well, let me know a time that works for you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't ordered the item yet. I did have Geeksquad go in and try to back up some files prior to the hard drive going back but they said they were unable to get some of the files including the Outlook files. If the hard drive was near failure, is this cord going to work?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Well. Thats the thing. I cant predict whether it will work or not. What I can say is sometimes that cable will allow a dying drive to be accessed long enough to pull some files. And sometimes it wont. Its not very expensive, and if the data is worth the risk of losing the 9$ and it not working, then Id say go for it.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
O.K., I'll order it and let you know when it gets here.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like a plan, keep me posted.

Dustin S