Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

The PC Monitor runs normally for about 40 seconds, then the…

The PC Monitor runs...

The PC Monitor runs normally for about 40 seconds, then the screen goes black for approximately 4 seconds, then lights up with a normal picture for another 20 - 40 seconds, then repeats itself over and over.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model #: P2770FH

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Same problem on both PC. The menu choice panel appears when the "menu" light is touched.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Several weeks I think.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

If I can get this fixed I'll be happy with the monitor.

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/15/2017
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. How old is your monitor please?

I've had it five years and I bought it from a friend who owned it about two years. It went completely black about three months ago and would not start again. Found it was the AC/DC Transformer, so I bought a new one and it worked as reported above. My item is a COMPUTER MONITOR (MODEL # P2770FH) not a TV set!

Just to make sure I understand. After you replaced the AC/DC transformer the display only illuminates for 20-40 seconds?

No, it was doing that before it went blank (ie: black). Then about three weeks ago it went black and would not come back "ON." That's when I had the transformer tested and it was not working, so I replaced it. After replacement the monitor would come on but the same problem occurred - on for 30-40 seconds, then "OFF" for several seconds, then back on. That's what is continuing now constantly. Makes the monitor pretty useless.

When you refer to the transformer, are you referring to the power supply of the monitor?

I'll time it for you. I think I've noticed that when there's a lot of "information" on the screen, the time between going blank (black) and when the screen is "normal", ie: working, the ON time is less. When plying a game the time between blanks is more frequent while connected to each (both) computers. I've typed the above statement and the monitor has been ON the whole time! When I fly my flight program (X-Plane 10 on one computer and X-Plane 11 on a second computer) there's a lot of "information" on the screen and that seems to generate LESS ON time - more blank screens.
I remember now that the problem began when I loaded BOTH FLIGHT COMPUTER PROGRAMS ONTO THE OLDER COMPUTER. That's why I've installed X-Plane "10" on one computer and X-Plane "11" (more intense gaming) on he second computer.

I have never heard of a program having that kind of effect on a monitor. Give me a minute and I will send you a link for a monitor test utility.

I've been calling it a "transformer" but, It's called an AC ADAPTER on the back. It's Aelegrid model PA-56W. Input: 100-240V - 1.6A 50-60 Hz Output: 14V = or - 4A.

Go to this LINK and try this program. It is free to try for 30 days.

I'm running Monitor Test Utility now.

Good. You may need to run it for awhile as a burn in test just to see how it handles it. Let me know how you come out.

OK. I can't figure out how to get the test pattern on my screen!
It's OK now, I figured it out.

Did you select all tests?

OK, good.

Have not selected all tests but so far, al's wel.

Good. Run it hard and that should tell you if there is a problem with the monitor.

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
OK, testing is all done. The only abnormal part of test was the "Morie Interference 1" and "2" pages. When testing them, the screen went black, "OFF" after only 3-4 seconds, then "ON" or back to normal for 2-3 seconds, then blank, then normal, then blank in a much more accelerated cycle. All other pages appeared normal to me.
Dan,
It appears to me that the more complicated the picture, the faster the ON/OFF cycle is. When I fly my Boeing 737/800 in X-Plane 11 with a lot of scenery moving by, the ON/OFF cycle is faster than when I'm typing a message to you.

I would start suspecting your video processor more than your monitor. If the monitor passed the basic burn in tests, then I would check out the specs on the processor to see if it can handle what the game requires.

Dan,
When you say "the processor" exactly what do you mean? Do you mean the Video card or the CPU. A description of the computer: HP Gaming PC Desktop Computer Win10, GTX 1050Ti, SSD+1TB, 8GB RAM Intel Core i5 2nd Gen., Processor Speed: 3.10GHz

Depending on how your computer is setup, your video processor could be integrated into the motherboard, or it could be an add on video card. Either way there will be a separate processor for handling the video functions.

Dan,
I just realized that every time the screen goes "black" the ON/OFF light, Auto light, Screen button, Settings button and Menu button go dark (lights, not real buttons) shutting everything OFF! Then they all come back ON in sequence just as they would normally if the monitor has been shut down and then later restarted. Is there some relay in the monitor that could be tripping, and then resetting itself - something in the power ON/OFF button?
I was a pilot for Northwest Airlines for 33 years and on our first flight with passengers from Minneapolis to Chicago (BACK IN THE '70'S) we had an intermittent gear unsafe light and horn come ON when we retracted the gear leaving Minneapolis. The horn was very loud. It could be heard in the First Class cabin directly behind the cockpit. Our Second Officer tried in vain to locate the circuit breaker to silence the horn but nothing he tried worked. It seemed there was no c/b for that function. On our approach to Chicago, we extended the gear and as we got three green lights indicating down and locked, the horn stopped blaring.It turns out the problem was a "rccb" that caused the horn to blare. "Rccb" stood for remote control circuit breaker which was never mentioned in the manuals or if ground school classroom. Only a select few at McDonald-Douglas were aware of it. Since it tripped and reset itself over and over we got the unsafe gear horn on the first leg of our trip! COULD THERE BE SOMETHING SIMILAR IN THIS MONITORS CONSTRUCTION with the ON/OFF switch?
The plane was Northwest's first delivery of the McDonald-Douglas DC-10.

Doubtful and if there is it would most likely be programmed into a microprocessor. Electronics are not made like they used to be when you could actually do board level diagnostics and replace a component or two. Your type of monitor could have a bad back light but with the symptoms, that is doubtful as they will blink out intermittently regardless of what is on the screen. You could have a bad capacitor or several for that matter. It could also be the power inverter. With the price of a replacement monitor would be though, I wouldn't beat your head against the wall too much longer on this. I will be glad to help where I can but I think with what you have described, unless the monitor is still under warranty, you may want to consider replacing it.

Dan, Computer Support Specialist