Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

I just got a sandisk sd card when I got it ,it was good now

Customer Question

I just got a sandisk sd card when I got it ,it was good now it willnot work it asking me to format i'm using it in my sandisk mp3 player and I think that it needs to formated
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

you can format it but you will lose everything on it.

and to format it you will need to use a computer that has a drive or dongle that can read the card.

It might be easier to just buy another card to be honest. Not that you cant reformat this one but if it screwed up once it may do so again. And the cards are pretty cheap these days.

But if you want to format this one

put it in a drive that is connected to the computer ( you might be able to do it while it is in the mp3 player if that is connected to the computer but you have to be careful that you are addressing the card in the player and not some other part of the player)

the card should show up as a drive under my computer or this pc in the file explorer ( the icon that looks like a manila folder with a blue clip on the bottom)

right click on it and select format from the menu that pops up.