Jay D
Jay D, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Business Owner at LCS
46389206

I'm looking for a driver for my HP 1170 DVD/Lightscribe

I'm looking for a driver for my HP 1170 DVD/Lightscribe burner that will work in Windows 10. It's not on the HP site anymore. I last used this with a Windows 7 computer, perhaps it's not compatible with10.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Dell desktop Inspiron 3646 running windows 10
JA: When did you purchase your Dell? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's about a year old, maybe 18 months. I've been searching the web for drivers but have found none. When I plug it in to the USB it just says it doesn't recognize it. When I ran the Windows program to find software for it, it came back "the best software for your device is already installed."
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it. I just want to be able to download lightscribe software and continue to be able to burn CD/DVD labels.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to help you. I'm a computer business owner based in Scotland - UK. I have over 10 years experience in computing and a Bsc Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.

I will try and assist you, please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you.

Please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.

windows 10 should have built in compatible drivers for this drive, I have purchased many disk drives and installed them over the past 10 years and never once did i need to install drivers as they are already built in to windows.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One online site advised me to hit "uninstall" on host under USB drivers then restart the computer, saying that all the drivers would automatically reinstall. Is that something I should try?

then if something goes wrong you have no keyboard or mouse, i wouldn't do that if I were you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's exactly why I didn't do that.

anyway this is not a USB device is it, I looked up that model and it's a disk that is fitted inside your PC?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it's an external DVD player/burner that connects to the computer via USB. The DVD player/burner inside the computer is not lightscribe compatible and the external player is. I work with older people who still prefer physical media so I like to be able to label them.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HP DVD1170 it says on the front.

okay just when i looked it up, anyway what version of windows are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Windows 10

have you checked the drive recently to see if it works with another computer and rule it it being faulty?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good thought. I'll hook it to my laptop.

I'm suspecting it to be faulty or there is a major problem with your windows 10

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Crap. My laptop doesn't recognize it either! Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one! Thank you for your time.

no problem, glad we could get to the bottom of it, please leave me a star rating! thanks. Jay