Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have a Kanex bluetooth keyboard that has suddenly stopped

Customer Question
syncing with my MAC JA: What's...
I have a Kanex bluetooth keyboard that has suddenly stopped syncing with my MAC
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Kanex Model K166-1013 -- only about a year old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just started. I went into the system preferences to try and re-sync the keyboard, but it can't find it. Also, tried replacing the batteries.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. But, I've never used your services. What do you charge?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Yeah, but do I get an estimate before I commit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2017
Computer technician: david, Hardware Guru replied 1 year ago
david
david, Hardware Guru

I would be glad to help. To isolate the source of your problem, do you have another bluetooth device you can connect with your Mac, and do you have another computer or mobile device that you could connect the keyboard to? This will help us figure out if the bluetooth connection is failing on the keyboard or the computer. I can walk you through the process of either of those tests if you'd like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a wireless mouse that works fine. No other computer to test keyboard.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any ideas?

Do you have an Iphone?

Great, do you know which iPhone model it is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
iPhone 6

Perfect. Let's try pairing the keyboard with your iPhone and see if that connection works. If you don't have the keyboard manual handy you can use the link below:

http://www.kanex.com/files/K166-1013_QSG.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not finding the keyboard. When I press one of the bluetooth keys on the keyboard, they light for ~1 sec and then go out. Under normal operation, they stay lite.

Have you tried holding down each of the four bluetooth keys with the bluetooth devices menu up on your iphone? do none of them cause the keyboard to popup in teh bluetooth menu on the iphone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. I wasn't holding the key down long enough.

Great. OK, let's try repeating the process exactly the same way but with your Mac.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I'm now typing using the Kanex keyboard!

Great! Keep in mind you can use the four different bluetooth buttons to keep connections with 4 different devices. So I would choose one button for your iPhone, and another for your Mac. This will help prevent connection conflicts when you switch between devices. Please let me know if you have any more issues with this keyboard in the future.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! Much appreciated!

You are very welcome. Also if you have any related computer issues in the future, you can put "FOR DAVID" in the title and I will be notified once you post the question. This will lead to a faster solution since I will access to our chat history for this issue and any issues we work on together.

david
david
david, Hardware Guru