Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have an Alienware M17xR3 which has a black screen and BIOS

Customer Question

I have an Alienware M17xR3 which has a black screen and BIOS beep code of 8. Apparenly the LCD and perhaps the graphics card need replacemen. I attempted to boot with a VGA cable to a Dell P2210 flat screen monitor. The laptop is set to 1600 x 900. The P2210 has a maximum 1680 x 1050 resoluion. A Dell Inspiron 1501 works just just with the cable and monior; therefore, the cable and monitor are working. With the Alienware I got a momentary display of the BIOS setup menu with the F2 key, but the keyboard was frozen. The problem appears similar to the following posts:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/if-lcd-is-dead-will-external-monitor-connection-work-m17x-r3-owner-8-beeps.722860/http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m17x-r3-replacement-screen.722619/
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  syseng replied 6 months ago.

My name is David.

First, do you still need assistance with this question?

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I found an answer on NotebookReview forum. Taking out the graphic card following the service manual procedure and reassembling w/o the card let the machine boot to the Intel 3000 graphics. Replacing the failed graphics card with an nVidia 580M or nVidia 680M will fix the problem. Meanwhile, I can boot with a external Dell P2210 flat panel monitor and get better graphics at a slow speed.
Expert:  syseng replied 6 months ago.

Glad you found a solution and thanks for letting me know.

Best regards,

David.