Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I bought a new Lenovo ideacentre 300S series Windows 10 PC

Customer Question

I bought a new Lenovo ideacentre 300S series Windows 10 PC with a WD vertical mount disk r/w drive.
When I tried to use it I got a message that the drive was locked. It made reference to WD Drive Unlock. It asked for my password. I don't remember establishing a password ***** I guessed. I got a message that I had 5 attempts to enter the correct password ***** the drive deleted files. What should I do?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First thing to do, would be to assume the activation of security on the drive was accidental. In which case, a default password ***** be best to be tried - once, or twice at most.

123456

is the default password ***** some WD drives. (I don't have the model # of your WD drive, so I cannot be quite sure of this, but it can be tried.)

After that, if it fails, as I suspect it will, you would be well-advised to pack up in original packaging and promptly return the whole Lenovo PC, since having a disk locked against your use of it is a decided defect in a freshly bought device! Hopefully you can get an exchange for it, for another of equal or equivalent value.