Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have a GA-f2A85xm-d3h mother board. I am running a Samsung

Customer Question
850 evo ssd. In my...
I have a GA-f2A85xm-d3h mother board. I am running a Samsung 850 evo ssd. In my device manager shows AMD SATA Controller. How do I change to AHCI?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: It is a self built
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have updated drivers, but not any BIOS updates
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only maybe any changes to make the mother most efficient.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/10/2016
Computer technician: michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

you need to get into to bios and then change the settings to AHCI

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have looked in in the bios and i don't see any place to change to AHCI

Go to sata controller then select AHCI for SSD and IDE for Optical Drive

Your SSD will work OK in IDE mode.

Once you load windows OS

change your system to AHCI from IDE: run regedit

In the registry, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci

Then right-click on the word Start on the right-side and click Modify. Change the value to “0” and click OK. Exit Regedit, reboot the system, and change your sata controller to AHCI, save & exit then boot into Windows.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will take a look, I do believe I have been there beforeThanks

let me know how it goes.

Feel free to ask if you have any question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been able to find The setting in the Bios, I have UEFI so it looks a bit different. I am not able to find MSAHCI in the regestry. I also did a find and didn't come up with any results. I am using Windows 10 Pro. Maybe I need to create a command in the regestry?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand the ssd will work with IDE, but it will preform better with AHCI mode

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is a specification for a software program that connects a computer's firmware to its operating system (OS). UEFI is expected to eventually replace BIOS. Like BIOS, UEFI is installed at the time of manufacturing and is the first program that runs when a computer is turned on.

Under peripherals >> onchip sata channel must be enabled.

OnChip SATA Channel

Enables or disables the integrated SATA controllers. (Default: Enabled)

& OnChip SATA Type

Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the AMD Chipset or configures the SATA

controllers to AHCI mode.

Native IDE

Configures the SATA controller to IDE mode.

Enables RAID for the SATA controller.

RAID

AHCI

C onfigures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface

(AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced

Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug. (Default)

& OnChip SATA Port4-7 Type (SATA3 4~SATA3 7 connectors)

This option is configurable only when OnChip SATA Type is set to RAID or AHCI. Configures the operating

mode of the integrated SATA3 4~SATA3 7 connectors.

As SATA Type The mode depends on the OnChip SATA Type settings. (Default)

IDE

Disables RAID for the SATA controller and configures the SATA controller to IDE mode

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe the BIOS is OK. I am not able to find MSAHCI in the regestry. I also did a find and didn't come up with any results. I am using Windows 10 Pro. Maybe I need to create a command in the regestry?

let me know the time you could be online i need few screen shots to analyze.

michelleclive
michelleclive