Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

This is a question about Exede Satellite System. We use this

Customer Question

This is a question about Exede Satellite System. We use this for our Internet service and now and then, we have a bad connection at the satellite dish where the cable connects. I have had to go on the roof and remove three connectors, clean the stingers, and reconnect. I do this about 2X year. They say that hot and cold causes contraction and expansion of the connectors and moisture gets in. The main office checks the modem and other stuff and say that they detect a connection problem. Anyway, what do you recommend for cleaning the stinger and what kind of grease can I put in the connection to deter moisture?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Since grease can get on the connection... I would not advise it.

A rubber gasket to seal against moisture might be more ideal. No chance of it contaminating the connector itself.

Also, be it noted: lubricant on a connection, should not be on the 'shield' either. For proper conduction of the signal, not just the center connector should be clean, but also a good deal (if not all) of the connector joint for the 'shield'... I am speaking of co-axial type connectors, of course.

Basically, the shield connection is vital as well as the center connector... in fact, your problem may be owing to the shield connection being contaminated by corrosion from moisture. So any protection (rubber gasket seal, or grease, or for that matter a thread all the way around with e.g. solidifying silicone gasketing perhaps - and idea ? - ) has to be outside the shield or outer connector.

Let me know what you think of this - I'd like to be sure I've been quite comprehensible - and comprehending (since I haven't seen the connector you are trying to keep dry, myself, and you haven't specified what connector type it is.)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The connecting is a typical co-axe male-female screw-on with a stinger in the middle of the female connector. I assume the "shield" is the male-female connectors? I did place plumbers grease/lubricant in the female threaded part and some lubricant did get inside encompassing the stinger, but the signal was not affected. All works well now. Tell me more about the "solidifying silicone gasket". Where get?

Sounds good so far, so long as the signal does, indeed, not get interrupted.

The coaxial cable has two parts:

- ground, or shield (outside, usually a net of finer silvery wires, just under the outer insulation)

and

- center/conductor in the center of the coaxial, usually coppery-looking.

As for silicone gasketing... that's kind of what you use when you rebuild an engine, to seal the coolant from leaking out, you put a thread of silicone solidifying gasket in the right places before bolting the pieces together. It was just a thought, with regard to the question you asked. A good hardware store, or an automotive supply store, would carry it.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK

(If you're done with this case, already, please rate my answer using the five-star interface showing on this case's JustAnswer page. Thanks.)