Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

Keeps cycling into analog power saving mode on LG monitor.

Customer Question
Keeps cycling into analog power...
Keeps cycling into analog power saving mode on LG monitor
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: HP Pavilion D 4650Y running XP
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/22/2016
Computer technician: Jennifer French, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you this afternoon.

Give me just a moment to review your question and we will get started!

I'm sorry to hear about your monitor! Usually, this means that the monitor is not receiving a signal from the computer. Has this worked before or is this new?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A reboot used to fix it, but now it just boots up and then goes back to power saving mode

Try resetting the monitor for me. Unplug the monitor from the computer itself, and also unplug it from the power outlet. Press the power button the monitor for about 10 seconds. Let the monitor sit for about 2 minutes. Then, plug it all back in and see if you can get the screen to load up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The problem is I'm on a laptop now, with only one ethernet. back and forth takes time.Do youreally mean me to hold the on button for 10 seconds with the power unplugged?

Yes. This clears the static electricity out of the monitor.

Take your time. Don't worry about it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still goes straight into analog etc.

Does it show anything before it goes into save mode?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it shows their Logo Flatron, etc.

But nothing as far as the brand of the computer, I am guessing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Normally, as a computer technician, I would try a different monitor or try the monitor on another working PC. This would tell me if it was an issue isolated to the monitor or the PC. If it is the monitor, then the obvious fix would be to replace it. If it is the PC, then the issue would be with the graphics card inside the PC or graphics integrated on the motherboard.

Do you have the ability to try this monitor on a different PC or try another monitor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Earlier today I got as far as the whole screen of data. I even once got to my own screen picture
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Their are USB receptacles on my laptop and on the back of the monitor. Would that work?

No, those USB ports sort of extend your USB capacity on your computer. You can use those to charge phones and hook up other devices but not the monitor itself.

You could also try using another video cable if you have one.

Another issue could be the power supply on the computer itself. Sometimes the power supply isn't powerful enough to keep the newer monitors running. It could be a setting within the PC itself as well, but that does no good if you can't even get to your desktop to look for the settings.

If you unplug JUST the cable going from the monitor to the computer and turn the power on the monitor off an on, do you get anything on the screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is what must be a digital monitor receptacle on the back of the monitor. Its symbol is a screen with a big D in it.I see what might be a HDMI on the laptop bot not on the monitor. I'll try your suggestion
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get the Flatron logo, and then "check signal cable"

At the very least your monitor itself is okay if you are getting the "check signal cable". The issue is now narrowed down to from the cable to the computer! I know that doesn't narrow it down enough but at least we know the monitor is okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Crap. Monitors are cheap. I refuse to give up my XP and all my legacy software. I'm a novelist and this is my lifeblood.

I actually completely understand what you are talking about. IF it is, in fact, an issue with the PC, you can still keep the computer going. You would probably just have to get a legacy graphics card, which isn't hard to do.

If you want, I can opt out of this question and give another expert a chance to give you a second opinion. We want to make sure that you are taken care of here at Just Answer and although I am almost certain it has to do with the PC or cable, maybe another technician would have a different approach and may be able to get it working for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's a sleep half-moon button on my keyboard. In the past I'vetripped this accidentally and set off the analog sleep. Could there be a way to come at this through the keyboard? In fact I have a new hp keyboard without the damn sleep button.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do that. I think I will opt out and let another expert have a go. This isn't at additional cost to you at all. Stand by and thank you!

Computer technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 1 year ago
Pete, Computer Expert

Hi there,

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist you further with this.

First, is it possible for you to test the computer with another monitor or a TV to check if it stays on and shows a good picture there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, not unless I buy one, which I've been considering, but I'm worried my old XP system and NVidia card might not recognize a newer monitor.

As long as it accepts the connection it should be compatible (e.g. if it has a VGA socket)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey, come on, you just stepped in for one comment.

I waited 30 minutes for you to reply to me...!

Did you get my response?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, but Microsoft picked this moment to tie my laptop up for 45 minutes with upgrades.

Ahh ok!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which is why I want to keep XP
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if I boot up with the monitor detached and then attach it? Any point to that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or what if I rip the half moon sleep key right off the keyboard? I do that all the time with caps-lock.

If the button is sticking down then removing it should help.

The monitor should be attached when the computer is booted up so that the computer can detect it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Pete, Computer Expert