Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have an older iomega prestige external hard drive, 1tb

Customer Question

hi, I have an older iomega prestige external hard drive,
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: 1tb prestige
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I did, at first the computer was not recongnizing it
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: then got a new
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Window 10, updated drive so now the device is recognized but when I turn on the external hard drive it does not give me the option to do a backup
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. When this "backup" was working before, can you please tell me what backup software was being used? Was it the backup software that came with the external drive? Or was it Windows backup?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was an Iomega, prestige
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if you would like we can use screen leap and you can see my screen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for that confirmation. Now, please check your Windows 10 if that backup software from iOmega is still installed. You can go to Control Panel => Programs and Feature and see if the iomega backup software is still running.

Also, can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
stupid question but I am still unfamiliar with this windows 10(don't like it) Control Panel? Where is that
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Right-click on the Windows logo in the lower left corner of the screen. Then click Control Panel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it does not appear to be there, if I own this device how would I reinstall this, something must have happened when lovely windows 10 forced itself on me
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. I can directly help you with this remotely through the Secure Remote Assistance option. But if you want to do this yourself, please bear with me, I will be typing all procedures for you then.

Please open or access the contents of your iomega drive. The installer of the program should be there. If you can identify it, just run it to install the software. If you cannot identify it, please tell me the pre-loaded contents of the drive (not the data you saved on the drive) so that I can advise you which one would be the software installer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, when I open this it gives me 4 options
filehistory, wertman-pc, windowsimagebackup, mediaD.bin
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Can you capture a screen shot of that and attach it here using the Add Files button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the screen shot. It appears that the drive does not have the needed installer for its own software. Or it could be hidden. Please open Control Panel, then open File Explorer Options, click the VIEW tab, then check the option "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Click Apply, click OK.

Then open your iomega drive contents again and tell if you see new contents this time

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nothing new pops up
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Please EJECT the drive properly. This is done by right clicking on the USB-attached icon on the system tray then clicking on EJECT.

Then unplug the drive, then plug it back but this time, plug it in another USB port. See if you can see 2 drives or partitions, one for your data and one for the installer image of the drive software.