technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

I have a PC with Windows 10. For some reason the sound has

Customer Question

I have a PC with Windows 10. For some reason the sound has stopped working. All the settings look OK. I get the Windows theme when booting up, but that's all. I'd appreciate your help.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dave, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I will help you now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

When you RIGHT click on the SPEAKER icon in the lower right corner of your screen (by the clock), and then left click on PLAYBACK devices. What do you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Open Volume Mixer, Playback Devices, etc.

1) When you RIGHT click on the SPEAKER icon in the lower right corner of your screen (by the clock)

2) and then left click on PLAYBACK devices. What do you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Speakers, SB Audigy, Default Device / Digital Audio Interface, SB Audigy, Ready

Right click on each device in that list, and then left click on TEST. If you hear a sound from any device, then right click again on that device and make it default.

Please take a moment now to rate my time and help to you. I strive for excellent service, and a positive rating is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

If you hear no sound from test of any device, then reply to me with your exact speaker setup there, and if you have a receiver or digital speakers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Speakers setting gave me "Failure To Play Test Tone" I just have basic computer speakers.

Sorry, I'm actually out of ideas on this. Will opt out to other experts for review. Another expert will assist you soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can live with the new setting as long as they work. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is solved.

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with this. If you still need help with this, please try the following:

- Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then the System Restore window should open. Then select the option Choose a different restore point at bottom, if shown. Then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred, and check.

Please let me know. Thank you,

But as long as the sound is working now, then you don't need to anything. The sound should be working fine from now on, but if there is any issue later, you can always get back to me any time.

Do you need help with any other computer question / issue today?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Sorry, I thought you had told me the solution I gave did not work.

If it is working, please kindly rate my time and help to you today. Thank You.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see the Chose a efferent restore point.

Do you see the System Restore window when trying my steps? If yes, in the System Restore window, what do you see? Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How about we use the Secure Remote Assistance so you can navigate through this.

Yes, please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely, then I can help you directly:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=9336d707-ae04-4e6a-a6f4-3a4ba440a140
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

There is no reason to restore your computer if the sound is now working. Also, the restore could cause more problems. If the sound is working, it's best to leave it as is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your help.

If everything is OK please conclude this question by rating my time and help to you today. If not, please let me know how I can further assist. Thanks!