Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I want to increase my display resolution on my Viewsonic

Customer Question
Hello! I want to increase...
Hello! I want to increase my display resolution on my Viewsonic monitor
JA: What's the make/model number of your computer? Do you know what Operating System (OS) you're running?
Customer: let me check that
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Windows 7
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: my laptop is a Latitude E7440
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/8/2016
Computer technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using a Viewsonic monitor as a second or extended screen for your laptop?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am using a laptop and a desktop PC and I have a communist style A/B switch that allows me to flip between the 2 computers and the monitor.
When I just have the laptop hooked up directly to the monitor the resolution is perfect but when I use this switch it doesn't give me high enough resolution.

By A/B switch, are you referring to a KVM switch? Can you please tell me the exact model of that A/B switch you mentioned so that I can check its specifications?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says data transfer switch on the box. C2G / Cables to Go 03364 2-Port HD15 VGA Manual Switch Box. Item model number
3364. I could take a pic of it and email or text it to you if that would be useful.

Do you see a brand name there? Like BelKin? Or is it similar to this image linked below?

http://www.nessales.com/ebay/13268/Manual%202-Port%20Data%20Transfer%20Switch%20Box%202-Position%20Rotary%20AB_2.JPG

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
mine looks exactly like that one

Let me understand your scenario further. You have a laptop and a desktop PC and you connect them to this A/B switch. So with this Viewsonic monitor, when you switch to A, you will see the laptop screen. And when you switch to B, you will see the desktop PC screen. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct, but A is the desktop and B is the laptop.

Thank you for that information. Can I remotely access your computers so that I can directly check the problem and fix it while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As much as I'd love to sit back and let you do all the heavy lifting to fix the issue, I don't pay to pay another $30-$40 for that service. Let's continue to work through it over this communication method.

Please confirm: Is the resolution messed up only when you switch to the desktop PC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the resolution is fine on the desktop PC, I have it set to a very high resolution of 1920 X 1080. However, the laptop is only able to be set to a max resolution of 1280 X 1040.

Oh ok. Thank you for that confirmation. Now please tell me, WITHOUT being connected to the A/B switch, what is the maximum resolution that the laptop can take?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me log off and log back on without the monitor to check

Yes, please check that out and let me know. You need to check if the laptop's default resolution is 1920 X 1080

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, when I just use the laptop itself without the monitor, the laptop screen resolution is 1920 X 1080 which is perfect (and same as the desktop PC, btw). I have screen prints if you'd like to see the resolution with and without the monitor for the laptop
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are 2 screen prints

Thank you for that confirmation. So now it appears that the problem is with the laptop only -- when connected to the AB switch.

Have you tried to change the option under "Multiple Displays"? It is set to "Duplicate". Please check and test the other options.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's correct, the problem is (and was) only the laptop in conjunction with the A/B switch. I just tried every combination of Display Type and Multiple Displays but nothing seems to fix the issue and enable me to increase the resolution past where I am already at. Do you have a recommended setting that I should try?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I set it to "Show Desktop only on 1" or ""Show Desktop only on 2" it wipes all of my desktop icons off the desktop. Not sure why. Also, not sure if my display should be set to "Mobile PC display" or "2. PnP monitor"

What are the options under Display? (Multiple, Mobile PC and PnP Monitor?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
those are choices and which ones are available to select seem to be determined by which option you have set under "multiple displays"

Thank you for that confirmation.

There is an online tool that allows you to maintain a desired resolution. I believe this will solve your problem. Please download the tool from this link:

http://filesxpress.com/d-30664679

After downloading it, extract the contents to its own folder.

I already set the config.cfg file to your desired resolution which is 1920x1080.

Now just RUN the program (Fixed Resolution App) and then try your AB switch.

While the app is running on the background, you cannot change the screen resolution of your laptop unless your END the app process.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm excited to try this! However, when I try to open the .rar file I get a msg that my computer can't open it because it doesn't have the program it needs to open it.

Oh sorry. Let me create a ZIP file instead. Here is the ZIP version.

http://filesxpress.com/d-ba63c062

Thank you.

Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think I have a zip file extracter on this PC. It's my work PC so I can't download winzip. Can you provide the file unzipped please?

Ok. I will upload the 6 files individually. Please make sure that you create a folder, you can name it like "FixedResolution" and then SAVE or store these 6 files in that folder. Then run the executable file from there.

Here are the links of the 6 files:

File 1

http://filesxpress.com/d-635285c4

Files 2

http://filesxpress.com/d-a8a60835

Files 3

http://filesxpress.com/d-92e11d95

Files 4

http://filesxpress.com/d-346a2685

File 5

http://filesxpress.com/d-2c9cfce9

File 6

http://filesxpress.com/d-32999f31

These 6 files must be in their own folder before you run the executable file.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I downloaded these into a special folder. The one READ ME FIRST file says that I need to set the specific resolution in the config file. Did you set that for me? I am not able to edit the config file.

Yes, I already set it to 1920x1080. You can edit it though, in your Windows 7 computer. Right click then choose Open With then choose Notepad. It is just a text file containing the resolution and refresh rate.

If you have stored the files in a spacial folder, please disconnect the laptop from the AB switch, run the EXE file (executable file) and then see if the system is displaying in 1920x1080 resolution. If it is, then connect the laptop to the AB switch then test if the resolution no longer changes to a lower one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried it per your instructions but it says "failed to change the resolution" and I am still unable to increase the resolution.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please try to do this:

1. Disconnect the laptop computer from the AB switch and then restart it
  2. Do not connect it to the AB switch yet. Set the resolution of the laptop to the recommended 1920x1080
  3. Run the application that I gave you
  4. If it did not give an error, try connecting the laptop to the AB switch
  5. Test if the resolution is not messed up when using the AB switch.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jess, I followed the steps you outlined however when I run the script the screen immediately goes black and the cursor just flickers for several minutes. Looks like it locks up. So then I have to restart my laptop and the resolution issue remains.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about the persisting issues. At this point, please follow these steps:

1. Download Phoenix.zip and extract it to a working folder. (Just remember the name of the folder where you extract its contents)
  2. Run it and click the “Extract Registry EDID” toolbar button.
  3. A list of monitors should appear.
  4. Try to find the monitor that matches the monitor that is giving you problems.
  5. Save the EDID to a .DAT file in your working folder.
  6. Download moninfo.exe and install it.
  7. Open the saved .DAT with MonInfo.
  8. Select “Create INF…” from the file menu and save it to your working folder.
  9. Open the Device Manager: click Start, type “devmgmt.msc”, and press Enter.
  10. Select the monitor you want to change (in my case, it was “Generic Non-PNP Monitor”).
  11. Right click and select Update Driver Software.
  12. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
  13. Click “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  14. Click Have Disk…
  15. Browse to the INF file in your working folder.
  16. Click next to override with your new INF.
  17. Restart your computer and enjoy your new resolution!

Best regards,

Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jess, I was up to step #6 before I got the msg that I don't have admin privileges. It will take some begging from me (and even that won't work) to get the access I need to follow these steps. Here's another angle to take...Is it possible or likely that the VGA cable that I have going from my laptop to the A/B switch can not handle the higher resolution?

That is also possible. Please try to exchange the cable with that of the desktop. If the desktop's resolution is messed up and the laptop's problem is gone, the it is the cable.

Regarding step #6, I believe you were able to download the EXE file. Now to run it with admin privilege, right click on the downloaded exe file, then click Run as Admin instead of just double clicking on it to run.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately the issue was not with the VGA cable itself.I am unable to download the .exe file so I can not run it as admin, unfortunately.

I zipped the file, here is the download link:

http://filesxpress.com/d-1fce6085

Extract the EXE file then follow the rest of the procedures.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I try to run the extracted file it tells me that I need admin priveliges to run the file. I can't right click on the file name and run as admin, either.

Please try to restart your computer then try running the EXE file again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That doesn't work, tried it several times.

Hi, still unable to run the EXE file I gave you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still unable.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry for the persisting issues. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My company would not allow that unfortunately

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry if I was not able to help. I am out of ideas, please allow me to opt out so that other experts can assist you further. You will be notified when another expert joins you here.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Computer technician: comp_audio, 20 Year Hardware Technician replied 1 year ago
comp_audio
comp_audio, 20 Year Hardware Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to assist you today.

Please give me a minute to review your question and get back to you.

Thanks for your patience.

Please tell me if you have a file name custommodeapp.exe on your pc in this directory?

c:\windows\system32\

comp_audio
comp_audio
comp_audio, 20 Year Hardware Technician