Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have a camera 700e thats shows up on the web running

Customer Question
perfectly but in alert commander...
I have a camera 700e thats shows up on the web running perfectly but in alert commander blinks in and out and has digital. I have troubleshooted almost everything I can think of but it has not gotten any better. Tell me what usually causes this problem. Yes if you can fix my problem I will pay but I'm sure the problem I am experiencing cannot be solved with one simple answer and in that case... no I will not be willing to pay.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have problems with my other 5 cameras also.
6/2/2016
Computer technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 1 year ago
Robert M., Consultant

most likely the router can't handle the traffic. I am sure it has enough bandwidth but thats not the only thing that you care about.

It has to be able to deal with all the packets from 6 cameras streaming at the same time and get to each of them in turn fast enough that they won't have to resend the packet and the program won't think they are offline.

If you are using a cheap home router you just won't get professional results.

Try it with only one camera and see if it works better. If it can handle 1 or 2 cameras but not 6 than that is your problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No that isn't the problem. Been using this router since 2011 when I got the cameras. Been working flawlessly most of time. Just maybe a restart after a long power outage. I have two of the same exact router. I bought another as a spare after I had such great luck with this one. It is having the same exact problem as the other so being two different routers having same exact problem proves it's not that. I tried many routers before getting this one and it is not a cheap one and I have tried using just one camera and it did not change the problem. I just found out my provider which is AT&T has trucks all over town and they are digging huge holes every where. I'm thinking the problem is related to my connection.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not satisfied with the answer... it is not what my problem is and I would like a refund. Please credit my card ASAP! Thank you.

I can't give you an answer without knowing all the facts.

The best I can do is tell you how to troubleshoot until you find the answer

It may be the internet or it may be some interference or it may be the cameras themselves. You should be able to see the cameras from within your network and that view should not depend on the internet at all. Just go from the camera to the router to you viewing computer all on the same router. If that view works and one seen through a device outside the network does not than the problem is the internet

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to give you all the facts. I said in my question it was probably not something you could just answer. All my cameras are on the same router and same PC. And your right an internet connection has nothing to do with it but a weak or poor wireless signal does and AT&T confirmed a problem with my DSL a little while ago. They said I have DSL but it's intermittent right now and they will be working on it tomorrow. So please credit my card. If after the repair from AT&T I still have problems I will certainly consider the remote assistance. Thanks

Why would the dsl have anything to do with it at all?

you should be able to pull the dsl line off the back of the router and the cameras will still work on the network.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but if I want to use the internet I have to have my DSL hooked up and when there is something going bad with it, it causes interference with my cameras. Don't know why but it always has.I'm assuming because the cameras and my phone/DSL go through the same router. The reason I was looking for help is because I had contacted them and they said they saw no problem. But after I got with the escalated team they said there was a lot of interference on the line and they will be fixing it tomorrow.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've had this system for almost 61/2 years and there have been many occasions there was a problem with my DSL line and the cameras wouldn't act right. Once they fixed that they would go back to working fine. The problem has already gotten a little better and I assume that is from the work they have already done on the lines.

The cameras can be set 2 different ways.

1 the camera signal goes out to the internet and can be viewed anywhere including a smartphone if you have the correct information

2 they are only on your local network and can only be viewed from within the network

If you have it set the first way than the Dsl line will make a big difference as what you are viewing is actually going up to the internet and back again. If you have it set the 2nd way than the Dsl will make zero difference. As I said before you can remove the Dsl line from the router to test what the cameras do. It should shut them down totally or make no difference

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it where I can view it from the internet and phone. That is my preferred way. I view them from home on my phone. And I've pretty much done everything. That is how I know what is a problem and what isn't. I tested my ethernet cords.. I changed power adapter and network adapters and used two different routers that have worked great for years. Both routers produce the same exact results so that eliminates the router problem. Even down to one camera still have the problem. Nothing is wrong with the cameras. They have all the correct color light underneath showing they are connected to the internet and the commander. I'm really tired of going back and forth. The router is not my problem so please just credit my card and go away. You have not helped me one bit. You haven't told me a thing I didn't know already. I've had to pretty much know the system inside and out to run such a complicated non user friendly system for so many years.

Well than if you had it set up that way and your internet connection is bad than you are correct that is the problem

what is it that you expected us to do for you ? I could have helped you troubleshoot to be sure that was the problem or set it up so that it would work internally until the internet problem is fixed. But of course i can't make att fix your internet service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok this is enough. I told you I had contacted them and they said they found no problem. After doing major trouble shooting for days I called and made them escalate me to a higher tech dept. They are the ones that finally said there was major interference on the line. And I contacted them to be escalated after I was told the town was covered in AT&T trucks digging holes. So at the time I contacted you I did not know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you credit my card?
Computer technician: comp_audio, 20 Year Hardware Technician replied 1 year ago
comp_audio
comp_audio, 20 Year Hardware Technician

Hello, Sorry but the previous expert opted out, which allowed me to try to assist you. After reading through the notes, It appears that you no longer need assistance, and "IF" charged would like it refunded due to the fact that AT&T work is what was causing your issues?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not know there was a problem on the line at first. ATT said it wasn't. However later there were ATT trucks every where digging hugs holes. I called them back and made them escalate me to higher dept and they confirmed there were problems on the line. Repairman came friday. The other Tech was on the verge of getting abusive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Huge holes.

No worries, I do understand. I will if you like refer your request to the admin in order to process a refund. But before I do that, please consider this...

I would like to mention that all of us experts here are doing this as a means of making an extra income, and in many cases like myself, rely entirely on this for all our income. On all questions we try to assist do our best to assist you, our customers, and in the end hope to make the customer, you, happy and that you will accept the support offered which in turn allows the system to put the money that you offered for an answer into the experts account. Not all the money however, a small portion of it. The other funds are given to the company for providing this medium for us to work together. It is a service driven environment. When an expert spends several minutes and often hours working with a customer going back and forth trying to assist a customer only to have the customer come back saying never mind, or I change my mind it is frustrating to the expert as well. And sadly sometimes customers get the answer that fixes the issue, but they say it was not fixed in order to avoid paying for the answer. Not that this is the case with you as I believe that AT&T is doing or have already done the repairs to the lines which fixed your issue.

I just wanted to point out the above so that you understand where the expert was coming from, and as to why we get flustered when in the end we get nothing for the work we did. This does not give any expert the right to be rude or condescending in any way however. So on behalf of all of us here I am sorry if what the expert said upset you.

So if you want to accept the support that was offered please do so, but if you would like a refund I will be happy to do as I said. Just please reply and let me know your thoughts. And as always, I thank you for your business, and any I hope to assist you in the future.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only reason he spent the time he did was because he was arguing with me. And yes I want a refund. If you need proof ATT came then fine I will get it. But at this point it's a refund or the BBB your choice.

Please understand I did not mean to upset you either. That was not my intention. I was merely attempting to help you understand the issue from an experts view. No need to offer proof about AT&T, as I stated I have no doubt that AT&T had to make repairs. You are welcome to call the BBB with your complaint either way, as that is your choice. As I promised I am referring your request to our admin for a refund. Sorry you took offense to my previous posts. Again, I was attempting to clear the confusion and it clearly was not taken that way. I wish you all the best and luck in your future support requests.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even at the time I wasn't sure it was an ATT problem I knew it wasn't my router. I had already used another router and had the same problem so that took the router out of question. But he wouldn't listen. He was determined it was the router and he would not accept that it wasn't. And I explained I was pretty sure the possibilities of what was wrong were so many that the rep would not be able to solve the issue. But as far as spending time troubleshooting all he did was run his mouth. He made no effort to do anything else.
comp_audio
comp_audio
comp_audio, 20 Year Hardware Technician