Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a vintage iOmega Jazz Disc. It is Locked. How do I

Customer Question

I have a vintage iOmega Jazz Disc. It is Locked. How do I unlock it. Thanks. -- Richard Sato email***@******.***
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who has been paired with you via JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Is your computer running Windows? If so, do you happen to know which version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, Mac osX 10.11.3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric: Are we still connected?
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Apologies for getting disconnected...was experiencing a computer glitch myself.

I did receive your message that you are running OS X 10.11.3. Let me see if there is an Iomega driver that will work. Be right back!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Alright...it looks like there are some third-party tools that have been created. Do you happen to know what the password ***** *****'s set on the Jaz drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric: I have been using iOmega Jazz since 1989. The Jazz Drive is Ok. Everything is OK but the disc I was using failed. I have a brand new one purchased from Iomega years ago. I just want to know how to unlock it so I can copy files on it. . I don't have a technical problem that requires a technician for analyze my system. == Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric: There is no password ***** to my Jazz Drive. It is just another device on my SCSI chain. __ Richard
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for misunderstanding your needs. I was under the impression that the drive had been used years ago, purposely locked/write-protected, and was now needed again.

My understanding is that you would need a working copy of Iomega Tools to unlock that drive for use but there hasn't been a version released in almost a decade and a half (of course). That being so, I'm not sure how to proceed. I will step aside and let another technician assist who may be more familiar than I.

Thank you for your patiance...we'll have another technician with you shortly.