Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I Need to verify the correct components of Hybrid RAID

Customer Question
I Need to verify the...
I Need to verify the correct components for creation of Hybrid RAID (SSD/HDD) for my Core i7 EVGA full tower computer. I am using Newegg.
I have already purchased a SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM
For the controller I am preparing to purchase:
Adaptec RAID 6405E(###) ###-####R 6 Gb/s SATA / SAS 4 internal ports w/ 128MB cache memory Controller Card, Kit
I believe the kit has cables; review say you must have cable kit as the connectors are unconventional; review says interference with side of the case may be a problem for some.
For the hard disk drive I am preparing to purchase:
Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
This gives me a 1T SSD with an Adaptec controller 1T Seagate HDD.
I do not find a good discussion of selecting the components. My concern is purchasing the controller, reading the directions, and finding I do not have everything correct.
Any discussion would be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
3/11/2016
Computer technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 2 years ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi James. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

What computer are you installing this into?

I currently have an EVGA full tower Thermaltake Armor case. It has a Core i7 CPU, 12 GB of RAM, three 2 T HDDs since I was using it with an installed video card that I shall be removing it and cease recording movies on the computer. I have a128 GB at present but it turned out to be too small to have all of my programs on it. Backup was a problem and so I continued using my 2 T HDD with backups on early Saturday morning to an external 2 T Fantom disk.

I just purchased a Samsung EVO 2T SSD that I am about to install this week. I would purchase a 1T Seagate HDD. The hybrid RAID 1 would then backup onto the 2T Fantom. Have a patent and lots of business topics that I need good redundant backup for.

I am partially handicapped and must use Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition for most of my work.

This EVGA will be converted into a predominately business use and I shall remove the Hauppage Video Card and one 2T Drive.

The difficulty I have is determining the Adaptec hybrid SSD/HDD controller.

I am looking at the Adaptec RAID 6405E(###) ###-####R 6 Gb/s SATA / SAS 4 internal ports w/ 128MB cache memory Controller Card, Kit

The pecs are uncertain to me.

Computer technician: Richard Hall, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
Richard Hall
Richard Hall, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello my name is***** understand that you are wishing to use the controller in a Raid 1 Disk Mirroring scenario, with an SSD Drive and a HDD drive. And the controller is expandable beyond that. It works well.

What are you needing assistance with installation or do you have some other questions to assist you in getting this done?

Let me know where you are running into an issue, and will be happy to assist.

I have not yet purchased the Adaptec controller or a new1T HDD. It will probably be 1-2 weeks before I get it in. I will post again once I get started, if I have any problems.

Ok. That sounds good.

Russell H., Computer Repairer