Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a PowerEdge 840 that will not boot and has no POST.

Customer Question
I have a PowerEdge...

I have a PowerEdge 840 that will not boot and has no POST. Green light is on and ***** *****ght is flashing'

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Power unit fan is running when power is applied but CPU fan never starts.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
2/16/2016
Computer technician: WesPCDr, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, I can help with the issue.

With this type of issue, there could be several causes for this.

First, unplug the power cables from the back of the server.

Then, open the main chassis cover and re-seat the power supply cable, memory chips, and hard drive cables.

Also, look for any PCI cards that you can re-seat as well.

Look for any dust inside the server and clean with an air can to remove from the inside of the server.

Once everything has been re-seated, leave the cover open and plug the server power cable back in.

Power the server on and see if the CPU fan will spin and if the server works now.

If not, unplug the power, remove the memory from the server and then plug back in to see if you hear beeps.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

I have done everything but reset the drive cables and clean out dust. Will try. The server is my only AD. The other email address I have is***@******.***
Still no change.

The problem is then with the hardware. The single ***** *****ght indicates a power problem or internal hardware problem.

This means that a new power supply or motherboard must be purchased to fix the problem.

Check to see if it's under warranty and you can get a replacement part.

Most likely, the motherboard will need to be replaced.

WesPCDr
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Computer Enthusiast