Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I'm using a T520 ThinkPad in a Mini Dock Series 3, running…

Customer Question
I'm using a T520 ThinkPad...
I'm using a T520 ThinkPad in a Mini Dock Series 3, running Win 7. Think I may have inadvertently activated either the 'sleep' or 'hibernation' mode during a previous shut-down and don't know how to return to a normal shut-down. Currently I have to depress the power button on the dock about 3 times, waiting 30/60 secs. between each, in order to get to the 'password' screen an proceed. Can you help???
Al Long
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
2/15/2016
Computer technician: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Hi there Al and welcome

This does not appear to be the sleep function as thats for something else.

What happens when you click start, shutdown and shut it down this way?

The PC seems to shut down; it says it is . On one occasion after shutting down, I rebooted within 5/6 mins, of shutoff and it restarted normally. Waiting longer periods/overnight, seems to be involved in the problem. Of course shutdown is occasionally delayed for upgrades and then auto shutoff. Sorry, I have a 2pm appointment, will be back in an hour. Hope I can reach you. Al

Thanks

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then test and tell me please if you still have the problem

Richard, Thanks for your solution. If and when I get up the nerve, I'll give it a try. In the meantime, further thought about the problem/solution brought to mind that a couple months ago I used the computer out of the dock, and remember no starting or delay problem at that time. So this morning, since the computer was off overnight, I removed it from the dock, powered it up with it's internal battery and again it started flawlessly. After about 10 mins. use I shut it down, replaced it back into the dock and powered up. Unfortunately the problem was still there. After the 1st power application, the monitor displays "ThinkPad" and then "Starting Windows", both of which are vibrating until the monitor goes blank. After the 2nd power shot the monitor displays a rectangular box outline in the UL corner containing the alternating words 'Analog' and 'Digital' before going blank. Seems to me I also see this screen every time the computer is shut down??? The 3rd and last power shot produces the screen containing the 'orange' Password' box. Once the password ***** ***** it seems to be clear sailing

ok, I still want you please to do the initial instructions I gave as this rules out a host of issues that can cause this, and we can take it from there.