Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I just received a new surplus Seagate ST318436LW hard drive.

Customer Question
The "L" in the model...
I just received a new surplus Seagate ST318436LW hard drive. The "L" in the model number is ***** to mean LVD/SE termination. The rest of the label on the HDD indicates that the drive is "SE" (which should be labeled with just "W"). Is there a known problem with this series (Barracuda) labeling or is this an odd ball run of this drive? Thank you, Richard
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
1/29/2016
Computer technician: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello Richard, and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

I have reviewed your question, and just want you to know, that I am working on an answer for you. In my searching for your answer, it may happen that I will need more information from you and I may reply back to you before giving an answer. Please check back often.

Can you provide a picture of the drive please?

All 6 sides please.

.

Also, when looking at the Manuals......the ST318436LW/LC/LWV/LCV are being clumped into a single category.

Meaning each drive will only have 1 of the designations, for example

ST318436LW

ST318436LC

ST318436LWV

ST318436LCV

And in this case, yours (ST318436LW) is 1 of the 4 different designations.

But you are saying that YOUR particular drive SHOUDL be labeled with a "W" designation somehow?

Pictures would be best.

I think i know what you are getting at.....and its the SCsi connector....Right?

.

The LW, has an older style 68 Pin connector, which took an adaptor to use the 80 pin.

.

Is that what you are getting at?

Is this an oddball run?

No, not really....just as common, depends on the Storage array that they were originally designed for.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry, I can tell from your response that I didn't convey the problem correctly. The 68 pin connector is not a problem. The issue is the two types of interface that was offered with the SCSI wide connector(68 pin). And more to the point the type of termination used. One was Single Ended (SE) the other was Low Voltage Differential (LVD). The LVD offered a higher transfer rate. The issue is the label is printed wrong, it has conflicting information! I was hoping to find out if the drive was really a "W" or a "LW" as printed on it.

.

I have not seen that particular table. It does not show a ST318436W which hopefully means Seagate did not offer that HDD. The issue is the factory label on top on this drive has model# ***** but the legends (jumper pin layout for selecting different options) on it is for a "W" (single-ended/SE) drive. The labels legends on other Seagate "LW" drives, I have seen, look completely different. I was hoping that you all would have databases and contacts with manufacturers to answer questions like this? Also please disregard my request for a "live phone call".

Its all good .......if you dont feel satisfied you dont have to pay....we do our best.....but sometimes the answer is too far out of reach...even for us.