Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an HP Omni 120 pc (all in one) and having updated to…

Customer Question
Hi! I have an HP...
Hi! I have an HP Omni 120 pc (all in one) and having updated to win10 from 8.1 I am currently suffering from win10 "won't wake from sleep" (it is currently stuck in this mode right now! i'm using a work laptop to type this). It is driving me completely crazy. Currently the only way i have worked out to resolve it is to drain the power from the pc (leave it unplugged for several hours) and then it boots as usual from startup. If i try and wake it before that happens i get a black screen..Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
1/24/2016
Computer technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 2 years ago
Pete, Computer Expert

Hi Peter,

This fault can happen when the Sleep option fails and it causes your laptop to crash when woken up.
To fix this:
1. Click starts > settings > system
2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.
3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.
4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:
When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.
When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.
When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:
5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery meter' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer name is highlighted [HP] then use that option.
6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'
7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'
8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid
9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];
Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.
Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options
Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.
Don't forget to click OK before closing the process.

Now your computer should no longer crash to a black screen.

Hi Pete, thanks for the suggestions - couple of things.. I'm currently sitting in front of a blank screen. The "power light" is blue and not orange as it should be and i am unable to wake the pc. Secondly, it's not a laptop but a desktop - so has no lid etc.

Ok, so you click on Sleep to put it into sleep mode, rather than clicking a lid?

You will need to follow the above steps, but ignore the questions about a lid.

You will need to follow your previous process to drain the power and boot it up normally again to fix the power settings.

Yeah that's correct, though the last time was a "restart" following an update to itunes or something. Only it has restarted it did the shutdown part of the restart but didn't then do a power up, which forced me to press the power button, and then the thing thought it had been sleeping! so annoying.
Ok, so there is no faster way to drain the power from the pc? i just have to unplug it and wait for hours ?

Unfortunately there is no faster way around this, however once you get the power settings fixed it will no longer be a problem.