Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

Laptop keeps going to" Aptio setup utility" page. Can't get

Customer Question
Laptop keeps going to "...
Laptop keeps going to " Aptio setup utility" page. Can't get to Windows.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its an Asus laptop running Windows 10
1/23/2016
Computer technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know the full and exact name brand and model of your Asus laptop.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Ive just seen your phone call request, and Ive sent you an offer for phone support.

Once that offer is accepted send a reply here and I will call you and work through the issue as best we can.

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its a Asus R554L

Thank you.

In the aptio setup utility, in the boot section.

Tell me word for word what device you have listed first. And what devices by name you have listed period.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Across the top, you have these tabs.

main , advanced, boot, security, save and exit

Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate.

let me see a picture of your boot tab, advanced, and security.. ( for good measure )

When you think you have sent those pictures, send a reply asking if I received them. We will go from there.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
20160123_173900.jpg2016012...jpg20160123_173845.jpg2016012...jpg20160123_173828.jpg2016012...jpg20160123_172909.jpg2016012...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get them? I sent all the tabs

I see them.. reviewing the images now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would call but I'm really trying to conserve money. I'm in PA and we're getting hammered by this snow storm.

Were also getting buried here in NC..

Lets try these steps and see if we can hit some paydirt.

Select the Boot menu in the Aptio setup utility, select 'Launch CSM' and change to enable
2/ Select the Security menu n the Aptio setup utility, select 'secure Boot Control' and change to disable
3/ Select Save & Exit and press 'yes'
4/ Hold down the power button until the unit switches power off completely
5/ Switch back on and continually press the F9 button for about ten seconds; this should now allow the unit to boot up into the Windows Recovery menu
6/ Select 'Advanced Start Up' and wait until the recovery menu appears
7/ Select ' Advanced Options'

Select system restore. Now choose a date when the computer was working.

Let the restore finish.. Will windows boot now?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Your hard drive has probably failed.

Question, when you start the computer and tap F8 , just as soon as you press power if you rapidly tap f8 do you see anything different on screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same thing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now when I turn it on, that's the screen I get

When you say "thats the screen I get"

Which screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same as the last pic

Understood.

If you shut down, and then rapidly tap f1 or f2 or f10 or f12

Does it take you back into the aptio setup utility?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not getting the Aptio setup page anymore
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope not getting that page anymore
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wait, ya I got it again

Focusing on the F2 key.. You have to be fast.

if you rapidly tap the f2 key the very second you press power to turn the machine on..

It doesnt take you back to the aptio menu?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
F1,F2 & F10 takes me to the black screen and F9 takes me to the Aptio page. Nothing is taking me to windows yet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correction F2 & F 10 goes to Aptio page

Ok, back on the aptio page..

Select the Boot menu in the Aptio setup utility, select 'Launch CSM' and change to disable

Save settings and exit..

Then, try rapidly tapping the F8 key during startup, what happens?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Goes to the Aptio page

We did make the change I Just suggested yes?

If thats the case then your hard drive has either slid out of place.. Or failed. Removing the hard drive isnt too easy.. But the first few minutes of this video will show you how to get to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOuSVMyhUaQ

before we replace the hard drive out right.> I suggest you open the machine, remove the hard drive, reinsert it.. And then see if you can boot.

If you cant boot and it behaves the same way.. Your hard drive has failed and you can purchase a working hard drive here.

http://amzn.to/1SbPukH Thats a***** so would have more then enough room~

If you have further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would cause that though? Because it hasn't fallen or been banged around.

Could be any number of things. Bad luck, natural part failure over time. A power surge.

hard drives do tend to fail now and then. And its possible that its only the boot sector of the drive thats failed. You may be able to remove the drive , connect it via a usb connection to another computer, format the hard drive.. And then it might be able to be detected by your asus again. ( youd have to reinstall windows but youd have a working drive )

Here is one of the mentioned cable sets youd need. http://amzn.to/1SbQgy9

Again, before you replace the drive or try to format it.. Id simply try removing the drive and reinserting it first.. As sometimes thats all it needs.

D.S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

Not a problem. If you need further assistance you know where to find me.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Senior Technician