John, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I do building, installing, configuring and troubleshooting of common PCs and servers.
50152684

Name is ***** *****. I have a dell xps 15 and the fan keeps

Customer Question

Customer: Name is ***** *****. I have a dell xps 15 and the fan keeps running and the power light is on. Not sure if it has actually shut down or not.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: we were updating it. my son said it showed a pouty face and said it had to reboot. Black screen, power light is on and fan running very fast
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Sir please provide the following details so that I can understand the issue you are facing more clearly

1.Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 or any other

2.In the question you mention that you were updating,Is it a windows update or were you trying to upgrade to windows 10?

3.How long has it been like this ?

Sincerely,

Note: - To reply back to me use the reply box below in this page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 10, just today
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the details.

Just to clarify is the system fan still running and power light on?

Did this problem happened while you were upgrading to windows 10?

Please let me know the service tag id of the PC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A dell update to finish your questions
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are off now and it has shutdown. I unplugged it and let it run till it quit. service tag 1CPWQ32
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

Plug in the power adapter and turn on the laptop,let me know what it shows on the screen or is it just blank screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pressed the power button and the fan came on. Pressed the power button again and the fan shut off however the power button is blinking at about a rate of 1 per second
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the screen stayed black
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.Please try the following

Turn off the laptop completely and disconnect the power adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 60seconds. Releases the button do not insert the battery back,now plug the adapter back and turn on the computer. See if works and let me know the result

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the battery? there is only screws on the back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
screws are on the bottom sorry
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Before we remove the back cover.Is the laptop still under warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under warranty, new about a month or so ago
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK in that case please do not remove the back cover that will void the warranty.

let me see if there is hard reset button or a pin hole on it.One moment please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting,cannot find any reset option so please try the following

Turn off the laptop completely and disconnect the power adapter. hold the power button for about 60seconds. Releases the button and then plug in the adapter and turn on the computer. See if make any changes and let me know the result

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
press the power button and nothing happens. maybe need some time to acquire some charge in the battery
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

When turn on the laptop does the power light comes up and fan starts spinning or nothing at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing happens when I push the power button now
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

In that case the battery might have been completely drained out so please keep it charging for 30 min to 45 min after that try to turn turn on the laptop,see if there is any change and let me know the status.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does not turn on, no power light either
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

It seems like a hardware failure,if it wasn't under warranty we could have tried battery and RAM reset but in your case that will void the warranty.

Is there any indicator showing that the battery is charging?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I cannot tell if the battery is charging or not. I will take it back and have it looked at. Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

This can also be a BIOS issue which also can be fixed by Dell because it might need to be flashed as long as it is under warranty you can fix it for free.

Is there anything else you like to know?

If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate positively using the options just below this page or on the top of this page,select the rating and click on submit. Have a Great God blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,