Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

Hd drive (IDE) on desktop running Windows XP Pro died. Was

Customer Question
Hd drive (IDE) on desktop...
Hd drive (IDE) on desktop running Windows XP Pro died. Was backed up with my external hd (S/N WJA0371A66). Downloaded NtbackupRestore...x86 to a Vista Home laptop. When I tried to use this utility to restore by selecting Backup.bfk from the F drive (Iomega), the screen reads: No files selected. Please select some files to restore and then try again.
Question: Can I only restore my backup to an XP Pro machine? Is there another utility that I can use to restore my Iomega backup to a Vista (or better, a Windows 7 machine? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer Hardware
1/7/2016
Computer technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Do you recall the software used

to create the original backup?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, but I suspect it was the XP. Pro backup in the control panel.

If you used the XP backup utility this could be what you need.

I've never tried this before but it looks like it will work. The utility system requirements include all versions of Vista.

I can't say if this will work on Windows 7, though: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4220

There are special Install Instructions so please take a look at those.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You may have missed it in my original message; I attempted this by downloading Microsoft's NtBackupRestore to a Vista laptop, and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Any luck with this version?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did everything you suggested prior to contacting you. If you don't have anything novel to offer (things that I haven't tried and are not readily apparent), just let me know. Thanks.

There is software that claims to be able to recover backups: http://www.bkfrecovery.net/

It's not free though.

I'm curious to know what happened when trying the Win 7 version.

Were you getting errors or any other indication as to why it wasn't working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Microsoft Windows 7 update (KB974674), when downloaded to a Windows 7 machine, won't read the bkf files. The window reads: Update is not applicable for your computer. Haven't seen anyone report successful bkf reads on any machine other than one using XP on all of the Microsoft forums. At this point, it doesn't appear that you have provided me with the assistance that was promised.

I got it working on Windows 7.

You'll need to extract from an XP installation CD or copy them from a running Windows XP installation, 3 files to their own folder that you create on your Windows 7 desktop

ntbackup.exe
ntmsapi.dll
vssapi.dll

Once you have those 3 files in their own folder, run the ntbackup.exe and the program will start.

You'll get an error that "Backup Utility cannot connect to Removable Storage service"

Put a checkmark in the Do not show this message again box and click OK.

The program will start in Wizard mode.

Click Next

Under "What do you want to do" click "Restore files and settings" and click Next.

A window will open prompting you for the location of your backup file.

I didn't have a .bkf file to work with so I had to stop there but I can verify that the program will

run on Windows 7 Pro x64 using the instructions above.

Go figure, it works on my Windows 10 machine also.

Hi. I've been trying this out on my Win 10 machine and it works great. If you need any assistance getting

this working please let me know. If you don't have an XP machine you can use, or an XP disk ,I can show you how to make the disk

for free and extract the necessary files.

Hi. Were you able to recover your files? I you were, I'd like to get credit for that.

That means rating either OK>Good>Excellent using the stars at the top of the page.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I copied the files from a Windows XP full installation cd to a new folder on my Win 7 desktop & attempted to open ntbackup.exe. I got a window that told me: Windows can't open this file, followed by a choice of using the web to find the appropriate program to open it, or selecting a program from installed programs. Not sure where to go next. Thanks.

The ntbackup.exe file will not run unless the other two files are with it in the same folder.

The files in your folder must look exactly like those in my attachment.

If it looks like this: ntbackup.ex_

the file was not extracted correctly.

I used 7-zip to extract the files from the i386 folder on the XP installation disk: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

I can connect to your PC and set this up. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Hi. Were you able to get this going using 7-Zip?

Byron
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech