Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I keep Open Office spreadsheets on Seagate hard drive with

Customer Question

I keep Open Office spreadsheets on Seagate hard drive with USB connection with my HP laptop.
At random times cannot access sheets due to error, different error each time.
No other problems with hard drive.
Am I possibly overloading USB connection with spreadsheets?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The true answer to your question depends upon the general spread of a representative number of those error messages. For a really good answer to fixing the problem, collect at least three or four of the error messages, exactly and in full, and let me know what they are.

For now, and for a reasonable guess at what's wrong:

- try clearing the cache (i.e. Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files.) On a Windows computer this is done through Disk Cleanup.

- with all of Open Office closed, with all spreadsheets (and all other Open Office documents and entities) closed and saved, do a defragment of the Seagate hard drive - if it is the type that allows defragmenting at all. This might be dangerous to the data, so let me know the drive model # ***** anything special about it (encrypted, or mirrored/RAID-ed, etc.) first.

- Is the USB port a USB 1.1 port? if so, it may be a bit too slow at times. Esp. if the system is still in-process of loading one spreadsheet, and you try to load another, response times may be too slow and produce errors.

These are guesses. Let me know the error messages, and let me know more about the situation e.g. what platform you are running Open Office on, etc., and I might offer better advice.