cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Operator
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT.
20109878

I have a chromebox and the sound has stopped working.

Customer Question

Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

Do you know how to access audio settings on your chromebox? Perhaps the output might be set incorrectly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't.

but while the receiver is connected by the 3.5mm stereo plug as above, open the audio settings menu. It is in the bottom right corner of your screen next to your Account picture.

While the receiver is connected, there should be a headphones icon just to the right of the Volume slider. Click that and in the audio settings, look for an output choice that matches your receiver. Are you able to switch from HDMI audio output to the receiver

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you still there?

Yes, did you see the previous message I sent?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you're talking about the volume slider, it was on zero. I moved it to midway, went to you tube started video, nothing. Returned to volume slider and it was back on zero. tried two more times, same thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need you to respond.

Sorry, I am not getting the notices that you responded for some reason

You don't see the option for "output choice" ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't. Where is it?

Typically it will be with the volume slider. Can you try plugging in to an HDMI audio source to see if it will work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
plugging what to an audio source?

So do you have a TV with HDMI by chance? You can plug the chromebox in and the audio should go through the HDMI cable to the TV's speakers...just to check to make sure the audio card in the chromebox isn't faulty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
chromebox doesn't support HDMI out

Are we on the same page with the device? http://promos.asus.com/us/chrome-os/chromebox/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same device. No we don't have HDMI TV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/XQFF-fXVFsY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I notice that there is no audio output over the HDMI connection, no matter whether it is made the primary display or not"

That is actually incorrect, it does support HDMI audio out

Anyhow, I am not sure I can assist further. I will opt out and another expert with more knowledge on this will be able to help you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how soon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what happens now?
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.

You can do one of two things:

hard reset = removing the battery, pushing a special reset button with a pin

1. Sign in to your Chromebook.
  2. Click the status area where your account picture appears.
  3. Click Settings > Show advanced settings.
  4. In the Powerwash section, click Reset.
  5. In the box that appears, click Restart and sign in with your Google Account.
    Note: The account you sign in with after you reset your Chromebook will be the owner account.
  6. Follow the instructions in the box.

Keep in mind that it will delete your user profiles, Wi-Fi settings, and files that are saved to your Chromebook's hard drive. So you would have to add back those items.

Also you can return back to factory settings but once again it will erase everything and you will have to setup everything that you had before (or you can back up your chrome on google chrome so you can easily just sign back into your google account and reinstall everything).

To run Powerwash, sign into your Chromebook and open Chrome’s settings screen. Perform a search here for Powerwash or click Show advanced settings and scroll down to the bottom of the settings page. Click the Powerwash button and click Restart. Your Chromebook will restart, erase all its user data, and present you with the first-time setup screen.

Keep me posted if that works and please do not RATE, just reply to this reply box.