Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

Reason my HP Officejet 6700 is tinting all the color

Customer Question
For some reason my HP...
For some reason my HP Officejet 6700 is tinting all the color printouts with blue.
I've reinstalled the drivers.
Tried to reinstall firmware but it said it was up to date.
How do I fix that problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
8/14/2015
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How does a photocopy, in color, of a color original face down on the glass sheet, come out?

- if tinged with blue also, then you have a problem with inking or the print engine
- if photocopies in color of a color original are not tinged with blue, then you have a problem with software and/or drivers, and need to tell me the information as follows:

Which version of Windows is on your computer?

(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)

The first problem may not be solvable, but certain operations that I will give you can be tried for it. The second problem, I will give you instructions for, if you give me the information above, please.

Color photos copy perfect from the glass. No blue tint.

The Dell Dimension E310 is a 32-bit.

Now that I think about it, There was an HP update that came down a few weeks ago. Not sure if that was when the blue tint showed up. I don't print photos very often.

OK. The problem is likely to be the software on the computer.

First question about that: Are you printing photos from a given program, when you get the blue tint? If it is an Adobe program, they have a tendency to be difficult to adjust to print the colors correctly. Let me know - or try printing your photos from

Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - Paint

and see if that improves the photo printing, or eliminates the blue tint.

Let me know, please. Thanks.

I have printed from Word, Acrobat Reader, MS Photo Viewer, and just tried from Paint. All have blue tint.

Excel seems to print photos fine.

Also note that my kids are printing from their iPhones and laptops with the same problem.

I just printed from my iPhone and it appears to have a reddish tint?

Also could see the magenta level drop with this print. (The print covered the entire page of paper)

Please check the ink levels in your printer, using the software supplied with the printer. Are all cartridges above low levels of ink?

Are you using Dell OEM-original ink supplies, or refills/remanufacturered cartridges?

C, Y, and K are at 1/2. M is at 1/3.

These are genuine (expensive) HP cartridges.

This is a HP Officejet 6700 printer not Dell..

I'm sorry - it's your PC that is a Dell, not your printer, and I misread, among all the past text of this case.

Well, I cannot understand why Word prints blue but Excel does not. That makes no sense to me.

The magenta level dropping while you are printing, so that the trailing edge of the printout looks less magenta, then the leading or first-printed edge... means that your printer has a problem with its inking system or its print engine, period.

1/3 ink level wouldn't mean much, unless the magenta ink has not been used for a while and/or is a fairly old cartridge (that has been a while in the printer, that is). I suggest that you run a cleaning, or head cleaning, cycle on the printer and/or on the colored cartridges. Then wait for 20 minutes, with the printer plugged in but unused otherwise, then do another cleaning cycle on the colors or the cartridges, then try printing again. It might improve the erratic color performance. I hope so.

As I answered your question before. The printer makes a perfect color copy from the glass. And it prints from Excel fine
How could there be a problem with the printhead or the ink if it can do that?
Give me instructions on how to remove the print drivers and all the associated registry data. I will do that and then reinstall the drivers as if it was a new printer.
OK... I would have offered to do so before, but I thought you said you had done so already.

Try the procedure again, this way, leaving out no step, however unimportant-sounding:

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from the power. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your HP printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.

Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your HP printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-6700-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---H7/4322971/model/4323605/drivers/

and click on the blue Go button, and then download the HP Full Feature Software and Drivers, wait for the download to complete and Save To file on your hard disk. Then locate the downloaded installer file, double-click on it to start the install routine, and install the drivers etc.

Then you might go to that page, to the Utility-Diagnostic Tools section, and download the Print & Scan Doctor program, and run it - then see what it indicates.
Russell H., Computer Repairer