Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have been using a Dell Inspiron 560 4 years. It

Customer Question
I have been using a...
I have been using a Dell Inspiron 560 for about 4 years. It has Windows 7 with SP1. Few days ago it started hanging with yellow light blinking on the power switch. It just randomly happens. How to diagnose what the problem is, and how to fix it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
7/29/2015
Computer technician: sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer
How do you restart the PC, after that ?

Last several times I turn the pc off by pressing the power button for few seconds. Push it again to restart. Then select "Start Windows Normally".

The last time around when I did the above, I immediately tried to ask question on JA, but while I was typing the question, it crashed with blue screen.

I am going to re-seat the 4 Gig of ram. Should I change the CR 2032 battery? I don't want to if I don't have to.

So, this time you got the blue screen for the first time or you are getting is earlier also ?

That was the first time.

Did you tried to reseat the rams ?

Yes I did.

Did you face the same problem, after reseating the rams ?

It has not crashed with blue screen yet. The yellow blinking light is sporadic so I will not know what that will happen.

No problem, take your time and reply me back as soon as you face any of those problem and if you get the Blue screen again , please note down the error codes and messages on it, that will help me to detect the problem. Unless you face the problem, it will be very difficult to detect the exact fault.

What's the cause of the yellow blinking light on the power button?

Yellow light generally blinks for hardware faults, that can be rams, power supply and CMOS. As the old model desktops have diagnostic lamps behind the tower, which help to determine the exact fault. But, in newer models the power light only turn amber or yellow . If you do not face the blue screen problem anymore except the yellow light problem then, try to reset the CMOS and if that also fails then, you may have to change the power supply unit, because if the power supply do not work properly, the PC can turn itself off to save the internal parts. Please let me know, if you need any further information, otherwise please remember to give positive rating below, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta