Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

I have a Seagate Central 3 TB network hard drive. It recently

Customer Question

I have a Seagate Central 3 TB network hard drive. It recently stopped responding and the LED is blinking green. According to Seagate this is most likely a connection problem. I have tried using a different cable, plugged it into a different router port, and plugged the power supply into a different outlet. Is there anything else I can try or is this likely to be something a computer shop could repair for less than the cost of a new drive?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.
I wouldnt bet on anybody being able to repair it much cheaper than a new drive. But they could read it and either get you the information or put it in a new enclosure.
you could try a different router if you had one. Its probably worth bringing it in just to get a for sure idea of what the problem is and what it would cost to repair. But if you need at least a new enclosure i wouldnt bet on the labor being much cheaper than the drive portion which is all you would save.
On the other hand it might be something easily fixed. a bent wire in the ethernet jack for instance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was hoping for more insight into the Seagate Central, the possible failure modes, diagnostics, and interpreting the LED color codes than I found on the Seagate website. If the drive can be mounted in an enclosure I would do that myself but I don't think that is an option. Have I been misinformed?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
it is just a standard 3tb drive in an enclosure that gives network access. you can pull the drive out and put it in a pc or another enclosure. The whole thing cost $150 to be honest unless you really want the data off it i dont see repairing it as being a major money saver. at $75 an hour thats half the price just to look at it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My efforts have been delayed by a wedding in the family. I'll get back to it sometime this week.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
thats fine. have fun at the wedding.