Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Hi,My Nikon camera suddenly showed "Memory Contains No

Hi, My Nikon camera suddenly showed "Memory Contains No Images" despite it had more than 800 photos. I mistakenly continued using the camera and took other photos. When i put my card in in my lap top, i just found the newer set of photos. I tried many photo recovery software but none of them worked for the older photos but they could recover the deleted newer photos. Please tell me how i can recover the photos. Thank you.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

There are few file recovery software that I can recommend to you. These tools are free so I suggest you give them a try.

First, please use Recuva from Piriform. Recuva works with hard disk drives as well as removable drives such as your SD card.

Download Recuva from this link:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/standard

For more information about Recuva, you can click on this link:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features

The second free tool that you can use to recover your image files or photos in your memory card is called PhotoRec. Again, this is a free tool and is best in recovering overwritten photos.

To get you started, please click on this link:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
(Note: PhotoRec comes with another tool called TestDisk)

Please give these tools a try and see if your photos are recovered.

Now, regarding success of this recovery, please make sure that you keep the SD card unused. The reason for this is so that the old or missing files will have better or higher chances of recovery. If you still continue to use the memory card, then old or missing files can be overwritten so severely that recovery will be impossible.

Please remember to rate my answer positively (with 3 or more stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated. Cool

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please do not rate my answer negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for the very detailed answer. i have used both tools meanwhile and still got the same result. it's as if the photos were never there. Do you think i should format the card then recover all of the photos with one of those softwares or i would lose any probability to recover the dafa? i also wonder why this happened? Can you please recommend another solution as those didnt work?
Hi Salma,

Thank you for writing back. I am sorry about this problem. Are you sure that this memory card really has your old pictures? I am asking because if you use Recuva with deep scan, you should always see deleted files that you can recover even if not all of your deleted files are recoverable.

The 2 software that I gave you are the best free tools available out there. If these tools did not recover your data, then please try to use the Free tool from Easeus. If the free tool won't recover your data, then your next option is to use the Pro or paid version. (When using the Paid version, just get a free rial first and see if the trial version recovers your images).

To get the FREE tool, click on this link:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Now, if no tools are able to recover your overwritten data, I don't suggest formatting the card since it will destroy good data from the card. However, you can backup the files and then format the memory card, and then perform the recovery or deep scan to test for deleted files.

Do you know why this happened? Basically, I experienced this problem personally with my Canon camera. The cause of the problem is that, when you insert the memory card to the computer card slot, Windows (your OS) will "write" to the card without you knowing it, or without you initiating it. As a result, the files will no longer be recognized by the camera.

The solution to this is to LOCK the memory card before inserting to the computer card slot. This will allow you to access the pictures but you cannot save any data to the card from the computer. This will also prevent Windows from writing to your card that will cause this problem that you are having now.

To LOCK the memory card, please check for a small sliding switch in the side of the card and push it to the LOCKED location to lock it. When you put the card back to the camera, that is the time to UNLOCK the card so that captured pictures will be saved to the card.

Here is a sample SD Card lock:

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again for the detailed reply. i tried Ease Us and Recuva again but still in vain. The photos are very important to me and i dont want to risk losing them. Do professional computer people have other tools that i can check for? or do you expect that they will face the same constraints and i should proceed with the format any way as there is no other solution ? One other useful piece of info, i didnt put the SD card in my lap top since long time, and new photos disappeared despite i didnt put the SD card in my lap top after i took the photos.
Hi Salma,

I am sorry of about the trouble that you with your images in your SD card. So are you saying that this SD card was not inserted to a laptop that could have caused the photos to disappear? So this means that the SD card is failing or corrupted. This is a physical fault or limitation of the SD card.

I went back and read your problem description again. So the camera shows the message that no photos are found in the card. You continued with it and then you noticed that only the NEW pictures are shown and the old ones are missing.

Have you checked if the files that you are looking for are just hidden? Please set your computer to show hidden files, folders and drives. Click on this link for detailed procedures:

http://technicalforum.org/windows/how-show-hidden-files-windows-vista-and-7

When your computer is set to show hidden files and folders, you will notice that there are folders and files that are grayed. These are the files or folders with "hidden" attributes.

Then try to browse your SD card and see if the old pictures are all there.

Now, if the computer is set to show hidden files and yet the old pictures are not shown in your SD card, I suggest that you replace your SD card since it is failing or about to fail. Copy any data that you can still access from the SD card to your computer and use a new card to avoid data loss in the future.

If the tools did not recover your data, then this is because of the physical condition of the drive. That is, it can be severely corrupted or is failing so your data is no longer safe in that card. I am sorry to inform you that in this case, your images can be lost already due to the corrupted SD card.

You have the option to proceed with the recovery using other tools but this will worsen the condition of the card. Yes, you can try to format the card (after copying all the contents of the card) and then try to do recovery again but this will not guarantee recovery of the old pictures.

I know this is not a good news for you to hear but it will be unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I will not give you the truth and honest recommendation on your situation.

Best regards,
Jess