Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX need to know if i can replace the hard

drive and how to go...
hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX need to know if i can replace the hard drive and how to go about installing the hard drive.

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.00GHz 42 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB DDR2
Motherboard
MSI 0A90 (Socket 775) 27 °C
Graphics
HP w1907 ([email protected])
Intel 946GZ Express Chipset Family (MSI)
Hard Drives
149GB Seagate ST3160815AS ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H60L ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device.
9/12/2013
Chris L., Support Specialist
Hello Angel my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Yes you should for sure be able to replace the drive. You had asked how to install a drive and to tell you this I need some more information.

First let me know the make and model of computer that this is or if it is custom built.

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Thank you,
Chris

hp compaq dx2300 microtower. came with window xp then i installed windows 7 professional, it's a 32 bit computer.

Perfect!

HP has actually put together a great little video to show you how to remove the old drive and install the new.

Have a look at the video here:
http://h20464.www2.hp.com/media/97BDBCC5-D741-4010-944B-135BE4E00BBD/dx2300_MT_FRU_video_harddrive.htm

Also you are going to want to read through the instructions as well here:http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01533143&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=3352967&prodTypeId=12454

Even if you have never done it before it is not that difficult just take your time.

Now for a new hard drive you need to get a SATA hard drive.

From what you told me above you have a 149GB so I would imagine you would want something bigger and faster.

The larger the drive size the more expensive the drive will be. Here is a a great 500GB drive for $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

You can shop around just make sure you get a SATA drive 3.5 inch, the 2.5 or mobile are going to be for laptops.

There are two things when it comes to buying drives, storage space and access speed. For example the drive I linked you above was 7200RPM so if you went for a drive that is 10,000 RPM the drive will be able to access data faster.

I would get a drive from either amazon.com or newegg.com as they both have great selections and great prices.

Remember after you install the new drive you will need to install windows so you will need an installation disc that you can boot from to get that going.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Chris L., Support Specialist