Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

"My computer will not start. Get as far as starting windows

Customer Question
then shuts off. Tried system...
"My computer will not start. Get as far as starting windows then shuts off. Tried system restore it didn't help. Still powers off as it begins loading"
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2013
Computer technician: lexx3218, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 years ago
lexx3218
lexx3218, Computer Support Specialist
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.Smile I am sorry to hear about this complication you have encountered. Am I correct when I say as soon as you see windows beginning to start up the computer does in fact completely just power off.
Yes
When did this problem first start and can you verify if this is a laptop or a desktop computer?
Happened the other day and I messed with it and don't know what I did but started working. Then last night powered it off for the first time since I got it running and now will not get pasaed starting windows up. It's a dell laptop
I see no just to verify you said it powers done meaning if fully turns off and stops running no power on at all until you push the power button correct? Also has it been getting hot under neither and before is turns off do you hear the fan get louder by chance?
Yes it powers off. Said at one point that a patch was making computer not start And no on heating up
Ok do this, Remove the battery from the laptop and make sure the power cord is plugged in only and then try powering it up.
Ok I took battery out do I leave it out
Yes leave it out and make sure the power cord is plugged in and try turning the computer on and tell me if it boots completely instead of shutting off.
Ok. Took battery out now startup repair is checking system for problems. Say start up cant repair computer checked diagnosis details says cannot determine the cause
Ok so it's not shutting down now correct? Also does it give the option to start windows normally?
Same thing screen comes up password XXXXX I enter password XXXXX enter then starting windows comes up and computer freezes then I hear a click and it power off the back on to password XXXXX page the same thing over

Ok you can put the battery back in. Ok tell me more about this password XXXXX you said it's the login for windows or is this actually a black screen asking you to enter the password XXXXX want to make sure.

My computer is protected by a password XXXXX system. When I power on computer I have to enter a password XXXXX from there it loads windows. Or starts windows I mean. From that point it shuts off then turns back on to my password XXXXX
Ok that helped a lot thank you. Did you set this up through the bios or a program in windows. Can you tell me what the program is called or was it provided by dell?
It was on the computer when I got it. From dell
Ok that program is designed to shut the machine off if the password XXXXX XXXXX in this case it seems the program has malfunctioned. The question is when you set up the password XXXXX did you do this through the bios or did you set it in windows? This also seems to be a hard drive password XXXXX?
Yes. And set it up long time ago don't even remember how I did it

If that program has malfunctioned and it is in fact a hard drive password XXXXX are only two ways to fix it. The first dell my have a program to send you to fix this or the program has severely malfunctioned and the hard drive would need to be replaced and windows would need to be put back onto it. What you would need to do is contact dell and ask them if they have a program for this particular problem or a way around there software if not you would need to replaced the hard drive and have them send you the hard copy of the windows operating system disk and the drivers and applications disk to restore your machine to the way it was purchased. Sadly when these programs malfunction it can cause a mess. I am so very sorry about that but that's how you would need to fix the problem. Please don't leave me negative feedback by the way if you need more information please tell me I am just very sorry that your computer malfunctioned I really am.Cry

Please reverse that negative feedback if affects me not the site. The only thing you had to do honestly is ask for another solution or ask for another expert. I was not done working on the problem. If you reverse it I can continue.
lexx3218
lexx3218
lexx3218, Computer Support Specialist