Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have a Philips 190CW computer monitor. The brightness control

window is in the middle...
I have a Philips 190CW computer monitor. The brightness control window is in the middle of the screen and, no matter what I do, it keeps coming back.

While no buttons are being pressed, the brightness is set to '0' and the 'down' arrow in the window appears to be activated.

Pressing either of the two buttons to the right of the power button ('contrast and >' button and 'menu' button) seems to deactivate the 'down' arrow.

Pressing and holding either of them just keeps the 'down' arrow deactivated for longer. It becomes activated again as soon as either of those buttons is released.

Pressing either of the two buttons to the left of the power button ('auto' button and '< and brightness' button) causes the brightness button to disappear and the 'automatic adjustment' window to appear and related activity to occur. As soon as it has finished the auto adjustment function, the brightness window reappears as before.

Pressing and holding either of these two buttons causes the screen to go through one cycle of auto adjustment after which all screen adjustment windows disappear and stay gone for as long as the button remains pressed. As soon as it is released, the brightness window, complete with activated 'down' arrow reappears.

Also, every now and then, the screen will go through an 'auto adjustment' cycle for no apparent reason. This is immediately followed by the return of the brightness window as before.

Of the five buttons at the bottom of the screen, the only one that works normally is the power button.

The monitor is out of warranty. Do you have any ideas that don't involve the rubbish bin?

Kind regards,
XXXXX XXXXX
New Zealand
5/26/2013
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Engineer

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a commercial Q&A site not associated with any computer hardware or software manufacturer. The "9 second" banner ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're a new user of our site, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about how things work.

DrKlahn :

Before starting, I would like to confirm that you know that JustAnswer is a Q&A service business, and not the official customer support site for Philips Oceania?

Customer:

I understand that.

DrKlahn :

Splendid; thank you very much.

DrKlahn :

As you've guessed, this problem is caused by a stuck switch on the control board.

DrKlahn :

I'm looking at the service manual for the monitor to see if it calls out the part number for the control board.

Customer:

I've jammed a bit of paper in the 'auto' button to keep it pressed. That allows me to see the whole screen.

DrKlahn :

Do you have a copy of the service manual, by the way?

Customer:

I don't have a copy.

DrKlahn :

I'll get started uploading this one so that you can have a copy of your own. The version that I have is for the 190CW7, but all the variants were substantially similar.

Customer:

Ok, thanks. I'll receive it via e-mail?

DrKlahn :

Unfortunately JustAnswer goes to great lengths to make sure that we never see your personal contact information, including email. However, I'm uploading it to a public download site and as soon as it's arrived I'll drop the download link into this session.

DrKlahn :

So far I don't see a part number for the control board. Please bear with me while I look at the last half of the manual.

DrKlahn :

System is predicting 4 minutes for the upload to complete.

Customer:

Ok. No problem.

DrKlahn :

Found it, on page 66 of the manual. One moment while I screenshoot that page.

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

(click anywhere on the above thumbnail to see it at full size)

Customer:

If it's too involved to actually fix, we need a 'cut-off' point where we say this monitor is toast and go get another one. A quick check reveals that a good used one could be had for about NZ$50 or less.

DrKlahn :

The part number is XXXXX 000 39722. I am not sure whether you will be able to get that as a part; I would guess if it's available, based on US prices, it will be about $US 35, which is pushing perilously close to the price you've cited for a good used monitor.

Customer:

Is that part fixable without specialist tools?

DrKlahn :

It appears to be connected by surface-mount plugs and not soldered on, so my guess based on the exploded diagram and the schematic is "yes."

DrKlahn :

Above is the link for the download site. Sit through the 60 second countdown, and about 2/3 of the way down the page will be a small, blinking blue link to download the file.

DrKlahn :

Page 42 indicates that all connections to the switch board are on three connectors.

DrKlahn :

If you extract the board out and check the switches with a DVM, one of the switches is going to be stuck on. Then ... if you can find a replacement switch, possibly on ebay AU ... you could fix it for a couple bucks if the replacement switch is a reasonably close substitution for the original.

DrKlahn :

The manual does not go into detail on what the switches are, but I suspect that they're the usual PWB mount small pushbuttons.

DrKlahn :

Alternate solution, if you can find a dead unit, is to extract the switch board and swap it into your unit.

Customer:

I'd be happy enough just to disable the switches so the screen continues to function for now without my paper wedge. After all, it's now an old computer (6 years) and I just want to keep it going until I return from holiday and and build up sufficient funds to buy a new one.

Customer:

Thanks for the tips.

DrKlahn :

In that case, check the continuity across the switches with a DVM, and when you find the stuck one, crush it with a pliers and remove the pieces. You'll lose some of the menu functionality but it should solve the problem.

Customer:

The menu functionality is non existent anyway so I have nothing to lose by trying that.

DrKlahn :

Right you are.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

DrKlahn :

If I've answered your question to your satisfaction and there are no other issues, let me know and I'll bring in the closing information so that I don't delay you unnecessarily.

Customer:

I think that's probably about as far as we can go without disassembling the screen, at which point I lose contact with you anyway. Thanks for your input. It gives me a little more idea where I'm going. Please hold for a min while I check where the PDF file has gone. As for saving the session, I'll just copy and paste it to a text file. No problem there.

DrKlahn :

Time is not a problem on my end. Proceed at your own pace.

Customer:

Where are you? Always interested to know the location of people I meet online...

Customer:

I'm in New Zealand.

DrKlahn :

I am forbidden to give specifics, but I can say that I'm from West Central Wisconsin, in the United States.

Customer:

How

Customer:

How's the weather up there? Travelled to USA about 10 years ago. Loved the people and the landscape and look forward to going again one day probably back to the Colorado Plateau area. I can't get over the beauty of the place.

Customer:

Anyway, I've got all the info I think I need now. Thank you very much for your help.

DrKlahn :

It's not bad for this time of the year. The landscape here tends more toward cows than toward spectacular mountains, I'm afraid.

Customer:

Cows? That's my occupation. I need a break from that! :-)

DrKlahn :

You wouldn't be Wal Footrot, then, would yer mate?

Customer:

Cousin Wal? Heheheheh... That's always been very popular over here. I didn't think anyone outside of NZ would know about it!!

DrKlahn :

I have the entire series and the movie as well.

DrKlahn :

Send Cousin Kathy along!

Customer:

Ok, you'll get an 'excellent' from me. I don't want to renew or extend the service but you can let Just Answer know I'll use the service again if the need arises.

Customer:

The entire series? I'm impressed!

Customer:

If you ever make it down to this part of the world, I'm sure you'd love it. Fortunately, it's not all like Footrot Flats!

DrKlahn :

I'd love to visit, but you know how it is <scratches fingers together> coin of the realm is always the issue.

DrKlahn :

I've got a customer with a video card issue, so while I'd like to chat longer it's not in the cards today. One moment and I'll bring in the closing info.

DrKlahn :

If anything in this answer is unclear, or if you would like something explained in more detail, do not hesitate to ask.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not rate or accept it. A bad rating does not refund your deposit. If you want a refund, ask me - I'll help you get one immediately.

DrKlahn :

Closing a question does not mean support has ended. You can return to this session later and post comments or ask related questions, until the session eventually expires and is archived.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is satisfactory, please close this question using the Rating panel / Accept button. This will credit me for an answer. Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

DrKlahn :

I'll hold online in case there is a last-minute issue or a problem closing the question. If you encounter a problem during closing, let me know so I can help.

Customer:

In that case, I wish you well. The recession/depression hasn't bitten as hard here as in the US so I can only wish you the best of luck.Ok, we're done here. I'll let you go. Thanks again.

Customer:

Bye for now.

DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Engineer
DrKlahn
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Engineer