Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I can make calls with my magic jack plus but cannot receive

Customer Question
them. They go straight...
I can make calls with my magic jack plus but cannot receive them. They go straight to voice mail. How do I check to see if call forwarding is enabled?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer Hardware
1/14/2012
Computer technician: Sergio A., Computer Technologist replied 6 years ago
Sergio A.
Sergio A., Computer Technologist
Sergio A. :

Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you. Has it worked at all, or is this a new setup?

JACUSTOMER-n59tkmby- :

this is a new set up, just a couple of days old. we tested the unit by making an outgoing call, but not an incoming one. We just found out about the problem when my daughter tried to call home today.

JACUSTOMER-n59tkmby- :

I went to the magicjack web site and the FAQ answer said to make sure call forwarding was not activated. I did not see anything dealing with call forwarding. The magicjack web site forwarded me to you.

Sergio A. :

OK, stand by. I am reviewing probable causes

Sergio A. :

What is the make and model of your router? Are you technical enough to know how to assign your magicjack a static IP address?

JACUSTOMER-n59tkmby- :

I have a Belkin and the only thing I can find for a model is "N+wireless router." As far as assigning my magic jack a static IP address, I don't know anything about how to do that. I'll have to wait for my daughter to come home and get back to you. How do I get back to you?

Sergio A. :

I will switch to Q&A and provide you with instructions on how to set your MagicJack to use a static IP address. You can come back to JustAnswer and click on My Questions to get back to this session. You can also use your browser to create a bookmark to this chat.

Sergio A.
Sergio A., Computer Technologist

Please use these instructions to configure your router to set an IP address reservation for your MagicJack. It will keep it from changing to a different address. There is some other configuration changes that should collectively correct the lack of incoming calls. These instructions may vary depending on your router model, but the terminology should be the same. You may have to click on some tabs here and there to get to the correct place to make the settings changes:

step 1 – determine an IP address to use for MagicJack
-------
Identify an address to use for your MagicJack plus. You can do this by going to your computer and clicking start > type cmd in the search box. If you are using an older version of Windows then you can click start > run > cmd

type ipconfig. Note the IP address that your computer is using. It may be something like 192.168.1.1. Choose a number that has a different last digit, like 192.168.1.3 (if you have multiple devices connected to your network then you may need to go a little higher.

Step 2 – configure your router to reserve the IP address

--------

sign on to your router.
type this in the URL of your browser 192.168.0.1
Sign in with admin password - the default belkin admin user name is “admin” with no password. This may have been changed, so you’ll need to know what it is.

step 3 - reserve the IP for magicJack

------
Click on setup network or DHCP or something similar
scroll down to section Add DHCP reservation`
Select the ip identified in step 2
Assign the name magicJack to this IP, if needed
Click Save.
From now on when Mj+ connects to the router, it will have this ip address

Step 4 set port forwarding to 5060,5070
-----------------------------------------------
Click on firewall or port forwarding
Click on Port forwarding
Fill in the following values:
Name magicJack
Use the Ip address that we assigned for MJ
Port numbers =5060,5070 Type UDP
Click Save or Apply Settings , then close the window

Step 5: Set your magicjack to use the static IP address
---------

Log into magicjack’s web site at my.magicjack.com

Click on My Subscriptions page

You should see where to assign the static IP address to your magicjack

Enter the IP address you reserved

Then retest incoming calls.

I know these are some in depth instructions, and I can be more specific in any step that does not make sense or you can’t find. Having the specific model of your router can help.

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks

Sergio

Computer technician: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, do you still need assistance on this ?

Sergio A.
Sergio A.
Sergio A., Computer Technologist