Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

No sound coming from Bose Companion speakers.

Why is there no sound...

Why is there no sound coming from my Bose Companion two speakers? This is the case even after I tried to reconnect after unplugging them. I'm not sure where to connect the main connection to the back of the computer.

8/3/2009
Ryan H., Computer Repairer

Let me show you how it should be setup then you can match it with your system.

graphic

graphic
graphic

Can you check your connections and make sure they match these. The part the plugs into your computer will be into the audio out/ headphones jack, small circular hole.

The part that plugs into the computer does not fit all of the way into the "digital audio" jacks or the left and right audio input jacks.

There are also jacks labeled "IR Out" 1 and 2 (both black). There is a jack labeled IR in (orange) and the part that plugs into the computer fits in those but nothing happens.

Can you tell me which model and brand computer you have?

I have an HP Pavilion Elite m9150f.

This system will plug into the GREEN Audio Out connector in the back of your computer, can you plug it into there?

When I highlight the speaker at the bottom of my monitor screen, it says "Realtek High Definition Audio." Is it supposed to say that? I had my computer worked on a few days ago. Could the tech have done something to my sound driver?

I will pay more if this turns out to be something besides just plugging into the wrong port. Don't want you to have to quit school!

Yes, that is the driver, or a driver I should say.

Is this a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows?

32 bit

Can you download the newest drivers for your machine, by clicking here.

Download, Install, Reboot and test again when windows gets turned on. Ensure volume control is up and speakers are powered and plugged in (and turned on if there is a switch).

I downloaded and installed the update as you requested. I don't hear anything.

Ok, Do you have another device you could plug these speaker into, to test?
Or another pair of speakers you could hook up to your computer?

With different speakers, the power light comes on and I can hear static. They are battery speakers - should I put in new batteries?

Yes, try new batteries and make sure it is hooked into the green hole.

The speakers work fine on my husband's computer (requires 8 type C batteries, which we don't have).

I give up! I'll take the whole system to the tech who worked on it a few days ago. You can have the $14. You have really tried to help me.

I appreciate that, thanks alot and good luck to you!! :)
Ryan H., Computer Repairer
Ryan H., Computer Repairer