Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

My Ridgeway clock's pendulum will not stay swinging. The…

Customer Question
Hi, my Ridgeway clock's...

Hi, my Ridgeway clock's pendulum will not stay swinging. The clock has not been moved from its current position in at least 10 years and it's plugged in all the time. It keeps time, chimes, and the light works fine but the pendulum has me perplexed. Any help would be appreciated.

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

Thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
Well, I'm not throwing away a grandfather clock so advise as to what's happened would be appreciated.
5/30/2018
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 2 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll try to cover all options to try. First when you start the pendulum does it stop after a few minutes? Most times this happens because the clock is not "in beat". A clock is "in beat" when the time between each tick/tock cycle is evenly spaced. To determine if your clock is out of beat, start the pendulum swinging and carefully listen to the tick and tock. If it the time between each tick/tock is uneven your clock will not run correctly. If the time between the ticks and the tocks is even your clock is "in beat". If your clock is not "in beat", there are several things you can try to correct the beat. The method used to adjust the escapement is different from clock to clock. Let the pendulum hang in its neutral position and place a piece of masking tape on the case just below the pendulum. Mark the neutral point on the masking tape. Move the pendulum to the left, marking the point where the clock ticks. Next, move the pendulum to the right, marking the point where the clock ticks. As a rough estimate the two outer makes should be evenly spaced from the center point. If they are not even, you will need to adjust the escapement until they are even. The best way to do this is to twist the "anchor pallet" on its arbor. However, in most case, it will be difficult to do that because the anchor is often to tight. Instead, bend the pendulum crutch to achieve the same result. Next is maintenance the movement on these style clocks should be cleaned & re oiled every 3 to 5 years to keep them in top running order I listed a link below for one of the best cleaning kits it comes with a step by step Ebook that I recommend to the customers that come into my clock repair shop to save them money from me doing the work. Try this option out and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate a clock repair shop in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

http://www.clockworks.com/clock-repair-kits/clock-cleaning-kit.html

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

No I don't. What you suggested was no the issue and I'll be looking elsewhere for a fix. Thank you.

HI,I'm sorry but most of the time when the pendulum will not stay swinging it is either out of beat, suspension spring might be weak, the clutch needs adjusting or maintenance when I go out on house calls. I will opt out and let another expert try to help you. Thanks Mike

Please stop referring me around. I will find a remedy locally here.