Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Today I wound my clock as I always do on Sunday and now it…

Customer Question
Hello. Today I wound...

Hello. Today I wound my howard miller clock as I always do on Sunday and now it wound chime. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

The only thing I did difference is I rewound the hands to get it to the right time.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Clock Repair
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/28/2018
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 21 days ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. When you rewound the hands to get it to the right time did you move the hands counterclockwise or clockwise and did you stop to let the clock chime while resetting to get to the correct time? I'll coverall options for you to try. The Right weight is for the chimes the Left is for the strike the Center is for the pendulum. There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers only if the hammers do not move freely up & down if so lift or push the bar off, next make sure all the hammers are at least 1/8" above the chime rods at rest. Next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 17 days ago

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Mike, Consultant