Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

My mom has a Herman grandfather clock with three weights.

Hi there. My...

Hi there. My mom has a Herman Miller grandfather clock with three weights. She moved recently and now the clock won't run. The weights and pendulum were removed for the move and replace in the correct positions, the clock is level in all directions, and it is wound, but when we start the pendulum, it runs for only a minute or two then slows down and finally stops. Any suggestions before we have to call the clock guy?

3/28/2018
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll try to give you all options to try. If your pendulum after starting it swinging and stops after a few minutes it might be out of beat or a pendulum clock will stop when it has been moved, bumped or even a too aggressive push to restart a pendulum. It is not broken, only out of beat. This only takes a few minutes to readjust.

How to Set The Beat of the Pendulum Clock

Check The “Beat”: Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. You work toward equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level.

Setting The Beat of the Pendulum Clock
If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick——tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case.

If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on its own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

The tick-tock is evenly spaced and steady. What is the pendulum leader? I will try that tomorrow when I find out what it is.

HI, There are 3 parts to the pendulum assembly at the top is the suspension spring then the pendulum leader hangs from the suspension spring then the pendulum hangs from the pendulum leader. Yes please keep me posted. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

one more: how could we level the clock L to R, but not necessarily the case? How do you level just the clock mechanism?? The tall wooden case is level, but who knows about the mechanism.

HI, There is not away to level the clocks movement it is screwed to the inside face of the clock. Thanks Mike

Mike, Consultant