Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Grandfather clock does not continue to work after I start…

Customer Question
Grandfather clock does not...

Grandfather clock does not continue to work after I start the pendulum with the weights all the way at the top of their travel.

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

Clock is level. I set the time and start the pendulum but is coasts to a stop eventually and does not continue to work. Seems to be a damaged spring, but I have not disassembled the mechanism from the clock to this point. If it is a simple as replacing a spring, I think I have the mechanical knowledge to do this. Just not sure where to look in the mechanism.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

I have had the clock since 1978 and it seemed to work fine up until just recently.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
3/22/2018
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 4 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll try to give you all options to try. If your pendulum after starting it swinging and stops after a few minutes it might be out of beat or a pendulum clock will stop when it has been moved, bumped or even a too aggressive push to restart a pendulum. It is not broken, only out of beat. This only takes a few minutes to readjust.

How to Set The Beat of the Pendulum Clock

Check The “Beat”: Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. You work toward equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level.

Setting The Beat of the Pendulum Clock
If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick——tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case.

If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on its own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.