Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I moved the minute hand backwards for about one hour and now…

I moved the minute...

I moved the minute hand backwards for about one hour and now the clock no longer chimes. I know I screwed up, but is there a way to reset the chimes?

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

Only to say that I shipped this clock to the US from Bavaria in 1987 and it has been chiming consistently, without fail, until last week. I am sad and worried that I have done something irreversible.

3/22/2018
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Always remember time goes forward. I'll try to give you all options to try. First make sure the hammers move freely up and down. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if the clock doesn't chime but you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

I cannot distinguish one thing from another. The mechanism is large and complex. I should probably ahve someone look at it. I live near Charleston, SC. My zip code is 29414. The main Charleston zip code is 29401.

HI, Yes clocks can be complex sometimes I still get stumped after 16 years of clock repair. Here are the closest clock repair shops that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

.

Approximately 3.4 Miles from 29414
1531 BOWER LANE
JOHNS ISLAND, SC 29455
Phone: Mobile:(###) ###-####/p>

.

THE CLOCKSMITH

Approximately 5.0 Miles from 29414
2037 MAYBANK HWY
CHARLESTON, SC 29412
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

JOS DUBOIS CLOCKSMITH

Approximately 7.6 Miles from 29414*****br />CHARLESTON, SC 29412
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Last question. With regard to these repair specialists that you have listed here, where does the list come from? Are they certified in some way? Are they from a recommended list of some kind, members of an association or the result of a basic internet search? In other words, why these guys?

HI, Yes each one is a certified clock repair shop they come from my data base at my shop. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Mike, Consultant