Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

My quartz carriage clock chimes every quarter hour like it…

My quartz carriage clock...

My quartz carriage clock chimes every quarter hour like it should but sometimes chimes again 9 or 10 minutes later.

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

It is a Seiko battery-powered carriage clock QXJ004BLH. It has a choice of Westminster or Whittington chimes each quarter hour and strikes the hour each hour. It keeps great time and chimes when it should but occasionally plays extra. For example: it will play all 4 parts of the song and 10 strikes at ten oclock and then repeats the same thing at 10:10. Then it plays the quarter hour like it should at 10:15. It seems like something inside is tripping the chime an extra time.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

If the technician needs to ask any questions, my email is***@******.*** I can't think of anything else right now.

3/9/2018
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I get this a lot in my clock repair shop with the same symptoms. I'll cover all options to try. First make sure the battery contacts are clean. Next check the battery contacts to see if the wires are loose or has come disconnected. The manufacturer Seiko states that their clocks work best with Duracell batteries. Next make sure that the chime lever is not loose or it might have a short that is starting to occur in the circuit board. Next the bad thing about these quartz movements is that they are encased in plastic and can not be opened to work on them to gain access to the circuit board or the plastic gears that run the hands, it is cheaper to replace the movement yourself than to bring the clock to a repair shop because that is what they will do and that is what I tell my customers that come into my shop to save them money. They are easy to replace and are very inexpensive. If the options above do not work and you decide to replace the quartz movement yourself you can order your part from one of the companies I use to order parts from just give them the make and model of your clock and the movement number which should be located on the back of the movement and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Moore Clocks LLC

1711 Old York-Hampton Hwy

Yorktown, VA, 23692

Call us (toll free):(###) ###-####strong>

Timesavers.com
    Box 12700
    Scottsdale, AZ 85267 U.S.A.
    1,800,552,1520
    Monday through Friday Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm (MST)

Gone to Pieces

(battery operated quartz movements only)
    6819 Rt 259 Hwy
    Homer City, PA 15748
    order line: 1,800,205,7204

Clockworks.com
    PO Box 339 -*****br />Huntington MA 01050
    800,381,7458

Very good answer, thank you.

H​I, Your Welcome if you ever need help in the future just ask. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Mike, Consultant