Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I have a 610-160 with a hermle movement. I bought the clock…

Hi, I have a Howard miller...
I have a Howard miller 610-160 with a hermle movement. I bought the clock used, and it was missing the suspension spring. However, weirdly,it would run somewhat without that, as someone had put the pendulum leader in upside down to make it run. I've replaced the spring, and now it does not run. I am going to relevel it tomorrow, what else can I try? Could it be out of beat? Thanks for your help.
2/8/2018
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes that is a nice oak grandfather clock and yes it is out of beat or the maintenance on the clock meaning the movement should be serviced being cleaned & re oiled like thay should be done every 3 to 5 years. I'll try to give you all options to try. If your pendulum after starting it swinging and stops after a few minutes it might be out of beat or a pendulum clock will stop when it has been moved, bumped or even a too aggressive push to restart a pendulum. It is not broken, only out of beat. This only takes a few minutes to readjust and all pendulum clock owners should learn how as this will happen eventually.

How to Set The Beat of the Pendulum Clock

Check The “Beat”: Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. You work toward equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level.

Setting The Beat of the Pendulum Clock
If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick——tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case.

If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on its own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Right now it does not tick tock at all. Will this still fix it?

H​I, Yes you can go ahead and try to set the beat but it might be the suspension spring might be weak or broken and will need to be looked at. The suspension spring is what the pendulum leader hangs from. Then the movement might need to be serviced if it hasn't been done in many years. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Mike, Consultant