Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I have 3 questions: 1) Do I have to stop the clock before…

I have 3 questions...

I have 3 questions: 1) Do I have to stop the clock before rewinding?

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

It seems to me that if the clock is running when you rewind it, lifting the middle weight would cause the pendulum to stop swing. Right?

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

Yes, I want to ask about setting the lunar calendar.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/2/2018
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll cover all options to try. First question no you do not have to stop the clock to rewind. No it is normal to lift the weight and does not interfere with the pendulum. I'll list all the instructions below for setting the moon dial try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

.

SETTING YOUR MOON DIAL

Grandfather Clocks with Moon Phase

The moon dial is designed to show the shape of the moon as it appears in the sky, the number alongside it being the lunar date. The numbers on the dial are of the Lunar Calendar and NOT the calendar date. A lunar month has consistently twenty-nine and a half days in every month and these are usually lettered in Arabic (English) numerals. The Full Moon always occurs on the 15th day of the Lunar Calendar. If it were a full moon today, the image of the moon on the dial would be centered below the 15 on the dial. There are two moons on the dial and it makes no difference which one is under the 15. Grandfather clock moon dials consist of a round disk displaying two pictures of the moon. A one-half rotation of the disk occurs every 29.5 days which is one lunar cycle.

If you have a Grandfather Clock with moon phase, follow these instructions. To set moon dial, apply slight pressure with your fingers to the front of the moon dial. Rotate the moon dial Clockwise until the moon is directly below the number 15 on the dial. (See figure 5).

Traditional Moon Dial on a Grandfather Clock

If the moon dial will not rotate, wait 6 hours and try again. Never force the moon dial as it should move easily. It may be on the 3-hour cycle where it is moving the dial…wait a few hours and you should be able to easily move the moon phase dial.
1) Using an almanac, lunar calendar or the chart below to determine the date of the last full moon.
2) Position the moon dial so the moon is under the 15 on the dial.
3) Count the number of days past the last full moon on a calendar.
4) Turn the moon dial Clockwise one click for each of the numbers of days past the last full moon.

The moon dial is now set and will indicate the proper moon phases as long as the Grandfather Clock operates continuously.

Example:
Let’s pretend today is the 20th of any month.
Your almanac or lunar calendar says the full moon occurs on the 25 of this month.
(this means the full moon is 5 days away..right?)
Set your moon dial on your Grandfather Clock so the moon is under the 10 on the dial which is 5 days before the 15th day the dial which is the full moon.
Done!

If the Grandfather Clock with moon phase dial stops for more than 24 hours, the moon dial will also stop and must be reset when the Grandfather Clock has started again.

Mike, Consultant
My moon dial questions have been answered and it appears to be working properly. My big problem is that the movement is out of beat. I have taken that straight to the people at Howard Miller and, after unsuccessfully attempting to get it back into beat by starting the pendulum swing all the way to the left (that’s supposed to automatically bring it back into beat), they have authorized replacing the movement entirely.

HI, I'll try to give you all options to try. If your pendulum after starting it swinging and stops after a few minutes it might be out of beat or a pendulum clock will stop when it has been moved, bumped or even a too aggressive push to restart a pendulum. It is not broken, only out of beat. This only takes a few minutes to readjust and all pendulum clock owners should learn how as this will happen eventually.

How to Set The Beat of the Pendulum Clock

Check The “Beat”: Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. You work toward equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level.

Setting The Beat of the Pendulum Clock
If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick——tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case.

If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on its own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

I already have an authorized tech in mind and I’ll be calling him this AM. He should be able to obtain a new movement directly from Howard Miller and then can put it in for me. It’s extremely unfortunate; the salesman who sold me the clock told me that in all the years he has worked for his company (which sells pianos AND Howard Miller grandfather clocks), there has never been a time when the movement had to be replaced on a brand new clock. I am Murphy’s Law personified!

HI, OK if you ever need help in the future just ask. Thanks Mike