Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Middle weight will not wind to raise it up, the middle

Customer Question
Middle weight will not...

Middle weight will not wind to raise it up

Technician's Assistant: The Clock Technician will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

The middle weight is all the way down and i cannot wind it to raise back up.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/26/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 6 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll try to give you all options to try. The CENTER weight runs the pendulum. First inspect the chain to see if there are any kinks or twists in the chain or in the cable which ever you have. If you have chains the sprockets that the chains are on are designed to turn freely one way try removing the weight from the chain and see if the chain will wind up on its own if it does wind the chain up and stop about 6 to 8 inches from the top and hang the weight back on. If you have cables there should be a lever located either on top or side of the winding drum that you can push while winding the cable back up. Next if you have chains and it still will not wind up you will have to lift the chain up off the sprocket and pull the chain up until about 6 to 8 inches from the top and hang the weight back on I use a tool I made out of a piece of wire to help you do so which I posted a picture below. Worse case is that if you have chains is that the sprocket that the chain is on has come loose, or has a damaged tooth or the sprocket itself is out of alignment and will need to be replaced or put back into mesh with the pother gears. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Hi Mike,
The sprocket is not turning both ways. The sprocket is still good and perfectly engaged with the gear. The gear or some mechanism in the clock is preventing the sprocket from turning. everything look engaged well and there is no damage or loose or out of tolerance items in the whole clock that indicate there is a flaw. The clock is a Howard Miller grandfather clock with three chains. Is there a way we can release the small gear that is engaged to the larger gear in the sprocket or any other ideas you have. The other left and right sprockets are working good only the center one is not turning.

Hi, Yes that is strange something has got to be preventing the sprocket from turning freely one way and no there is not a way to release the smaller gear without taking the movement out for inspection. If I had the clock in my repair shop or could see it in person I could figure out the problem. If you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

I know many shops that I can take it and repair it. I thought you might tell me the problem so I can repair it myself. I
I know many shops that I can take it and repair it. I thought you might tell me the problem so I can repair it myself. I guess I have to take it apart and check if it is a sprocket problem or a movement issue.
I know many shops that I can take it and repair it. I thought you might tell me the problem so I can repair it myself. I was trying to avoid take it apart. I guess I have to take it apart and check if it is a sprocket problem or a movement issue.

H​I, Yes sometimes it isn't an easy fix I gave you all options to check without seeing the clock I've been working on clocks 15+ years at my shop and I still find out new problems and learn from them. Please keep me posted. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

I fix the center weight to go down but I cannot rewind it to go up. Going down is working perfect and give the exact time,

H​I, Without seeing the clock in person or at my shop I would first go over the options I mentioned above. The ratchet gear is stuck like I mentioned above the sprocket is suppose to turn freely one way. inspect the links on the chain, try lifting the chain up off the sprocket with the weight removed to see if the chain is jammed etc.. Try these option out and let me know what happens and Please keep me posted. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.