Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Clock stopped. Won`t start up. It`s a full-sized grandfather…

Customer Question
Clock stopped. Won`t start...

Clock stopped. Won`t start up.

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

It`s a full-sized grandfather clock. Movers removed the 3 brass hanging things and the pendelum . And replaced them when we got here. Hasn`t worked since.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

Not that i`m aware of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/22/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 7 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll try to give you all options to try. First make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked on the bottom R C L if not the heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, next heaviest goes in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, next the same weight or lightest goes on the LEFT it runs the strike. Next make sure all the hammers are moving freely up and down and all of the hammers are at the same height at rest above the chime rods the hammers should all be 1/8" to 1/16" above each rod to have the correct sound. Next make sure none of the chime rods are loose. Next when was the last time the clock was serviced meaning the movement cleaned & re oiled they should be done every 3 to 5 years?. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. If your pendulum after starting it swinging and stops after a few minutes it might be out of beat or a pendulum clock will stop when it has been moved, bumped or even a too aggressive push to restart a pendulum. It is not broken, only out of beat. This only takes a few minutes to readjust and all pendulum clock owners should learn how as this will happen eventually.

How to Set The Beat of the Pendulum Clock

Check The “Beat”: Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. It should sound steady and even like a metronome. You work toward equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum needs to swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop even if the clock case is level.

Setting The Beat of the Pendulum Clock
If the beat is irregular like: tock,tick——tock,tick- an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right by moving the clock very slightly from the bottom until you hear the most even tick-tock. This may not be physically level for the clock case.

If this fails you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on its own. It should have the same feel from dead center to right and dead center to left. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue and you are done. Try these option out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Need someone younger and smarter than me. My zip code #98053 Redmond, WA
Thank you Mike *****

HI, Here are the closest clock repair shops that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

.

BOYDS OF BELLEVUE

Approximately 6.3 Miles from 98053
14150 NE 20TH STREET
SUITE B
BELLEVUE, WA 98007
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

AUBREY'S CLOCK GALLERY

Approximately 9.1 Miles from 98053
317 NW GILMAN BLVD
SUITE 12
ISSAQUAH, WA 98027
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

K & D TIME SERVICE

Approximately 15.3 Miles from 98053
PO BOX 563
MOUNTLAKE TERRACE, WA 98043
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

A HOUSE OF CLOCKS

Approximately 17.5 Miles from 98053
15701 HIGHWAY 99
LYNNWOOD, WA 98087
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

RAYMOND HOUSER

Approximately 21.1 Miles from 98053*****SW
BURIAN, WA 98166
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

COUNTRY CLOCK SHOP

Approximately 21.3 Miles from 98053*****br />EVERETT, WA###-##-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.