Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

I think my clock is wound too tight. It's a Model 612 374. I…

Customer Question
I think my clock...

I think my clock is wound too tight

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

It's a Howard Miller Model 612 374

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/18/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 9 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I have worked on these type clocks many times and are great clocks. You cannot over wind a spring driven clock. This is misinformation that has been handed down through the generations. If you wind a clock completely to the end and it does not work; something else such as wear, dirt, or old sticky oil is preventing the clock from running. It is not because you "over wound" or "wound the clock too tight". First you can try to run your clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this will allow the mainspring on the right side to loosen up if you hear a clicking sound like it wants to chime but it doesn't the mainspring might be gummed up and stuck. Yes I run into this problem alot at my shop as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the movement starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. What happens is the gummy old oil will sometimes make the inside coils of the mainsprings stick and can not release the pressure to run the clock. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. To save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step Ebook just click the link below. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

http://www.clockworks.com/clock-repair-kits/clock-cleaning-kit.html