Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

9 tube kieneger chimes westminster just fine but stops after…

Customer Question
9 tube kieneger chimes...

9 tube kieneger chimes westminster just fine but stops after 1 or 2 notes on the other 2 settings and howardmillers techs have been unable to tell me anything that will make it work. the clock has been cleaned and oiled but for 15 years was only played on westminster

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/18/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 8 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll coverall options for you to try. There are several things to check. After you switch the clock from Westminster to Whittington and St Michael chimes check to see if the retard bar has slips down over the hammers only if the hammers do not move freely up & down if so lift or push the bar off, next make sure all the hammers are at least 1/8" above the chime rods at rest. Next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime the correct sequence but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next the chime selector lever might be having a problem with a sprocket that has a worn or damaged tooth or maybe a burr that is stopping the correct sequence of the melody. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Westminster, Whittington and St Michael chimes

I am a authorized service agent , read my e mail again it is a 9 tube model, Everything you stated i have already done. There is no wear on this movement, it is not a sequence problem its a non functioning problem, it chimes fine in sequence on westminster but will not chime the other two. There are no locking pin problems, I have adjusted the depth on the bevel gears every way , i have recleaned the chime barrel assembly , readjusted the chime barrel alignment, ???

H​I, It has to be in the lever that switches the melodies not allowing the new melody to engage if I had the clock in my shop I could trace the problem down I just gave you obvious options to try without disassembling the movement. I would start at the lever and see what happens visually when trying to go from Westminster to the other melodies there has to be an obstruction or a gear that is skipping over or etc. Trace that option and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike