Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

We had out Winmink Dutch wall clock serviced as it had

Customer Question
We had out Winmink...

We had out Winmink Dutch wall clock serviced as it had stopped working. We were told it was because it needed cleaning and re-oiling. However, since we got it back, we can't get it to run. The pendulum just won't keep ticking. We returned to the clock repair, and they checked it out and said all was good, and that it worked for them. What are we doing wrong?

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/11/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 7 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. It might be that the clock is out of beat if after you start up the clock and it stops after a few minutes. First make sure the clock is flat against the wall and level both ways front to back and side to side. Follow my instructions below it covers all styles of Pendulum clocks, Mantle, Wall, Grandfather clocks and tell me what happens also make sure the pendulum assembly is correctly in line and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

When set correctly, a pendulum clock should have a steady, rhythmic tick-tock, tick-tock sound. If what you hear is not an evenly spaced sound, the clock is out of beat. An out of beat clock will not keep correct time and may stop working altogether. Reestablishing a correct beat is not a difficult task but it does require patience and a gentle hand.

• 1 Ensure the underlying surface is level.

Mantle clocks must sit on a level surface or the force of gravity will cause the clock to go out of beat. If necessary, place a shim no larger than one-fourth inch underneath the clock to level it out. If a shim larger than this is necessary, find another spot for the clock. Verify the level is correct with a straightedge level.

To level a wall-mounted clock, move the bottom of the clock casing to the left or right, no more than one-sixteenth of an inch.

• 2

Stop the clock.

When the pendulum stops, gently move it with your hand to the left and to the right until you hear the "tick" sound. Watch to see the position of the pendulum crutch when the tick occurs. This is the position you will want to adjust the crutch to so that the clock is in beat.

The pendulum crutch is a small piece of wire that goes through the pendulum arm and keeps it moving from side to side. For a pendulum clock to beat, the center motion of the crutch must be in the center of the clock. A crutch can easily bend or move off its center, causing the clock to go off beat or stop running.

• 3

Adjust the crutch.

Using a gentle hand, bend the crutch in the middle of its length to the desired position. Swing the pendulum and listen for a steady, tick-tock sound. Listen carefully as sound is important. If the clock produces the desired sound, it is in beat. If not, repeat steps two and three until it is.

Let the clock run and check it after a few minutes and then again in a few hours. If the clock is even minutely out of beat, it may stop running. Readjust if necessary.

Tips & Warnings:

Setting the beat on a pendulum clock is largely a matter of trial and error. Do not expect to get it working correctly the first time. Be patient and gentle and bend the crutch only a little at a time

Bending a crutch at the end of its length can cause it to break.

Handle a pendulum clock with care. Internal clock mechanisms are delicate and can easily bend or break.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Mike, Consultant