Clock Repair

Have clock problems? Ask a clock Expert and get answers ASAP

Cleaned our 160 year old pendulum clock. now it wont

Customer Question
Cleaned our 160 year...

Cleaned our 160 year old pendulum clock. now it wont run...does not tick/tock .

Technician's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

Sorry...hit the wrong button and sent!

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Clock Technician should be aware of?

Sorry...hit the wrong button and sent!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Clock Repair
11/7/2017
Clock Repair Expert: Mike, Consultant replied 9 months ago
Mike, Consultant

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Does your clock have weights?. First you have got to check to see if all the gears are meshed correctly. Each time the clock tick tocks there is a lever that advances the gears. Next make sure the suspension spring is on correctly you might have to adjust the pendulum leader from left to right and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

still no tick-tock. have tried everything you said but nothing happens. what about the hands on the face of the clock? could it be if they were put in wrong the clock would not work? there was a small piece on one of the hands that fell off when I picked it up and I was not sure which side went close to the face. hate to take it apart again for no reason so thought I would ask you first.

HI, Yes the small or minute hand should go on first. The biggest problem without seeing the clock is to trace all the gears to see if there is a problem if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

okay finally it is working! I made the mistake when I took the hands off. Guess the little "thingy" I did not know what it was for was the clue . It was only when I took the clock apart again and reversed the minute hand with the little piece that it worked.

HI, That's Great if you ever need help in the future just ask. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

.